Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bikemusic
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

McAfee Deleted All Chrome Browser Shortcut Icons

Jump to solution

Immediately after installing McAfee Total Protection, the next time I opened my Chrome Browser I noticed that all my shortcut icons on my bookmarks bar were gone and replaced with an empty placeholder icon.  As I work with these shortcuts every day, all day, this is unacceptable and will cause me to uninstall and seek a refund if it can't be restore to original state.  Anyone know a fix for this? (The attached file shows the bookmarks bar as rendered by McAfee)  Anyone?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bikemusic
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Re: McAfee Deleted All Chrome Browser Shortcut Icons

Jump to solution

Thanks.  Actually, it isn't the bookmarks bar that isn't displaying - it's the 30+ FAVICONS I had placed on the Bookmarks Bar, having edited each to delete the associated text and only display the icon for quick visual navigation in my workflow.

After much research, trial and error, none of the solutions found online worked (deleting cache in appdata/chrome, etc., running CC cleaner, closing, re-opening Chrome, et al).  The only thing that did work (in most cases) was to click on each blank favicon and load the site.  In 90% of the cases, all favicons reloaded.  Favicons associated with Google, interestingly, were the exception (even though on a Chrome browser!!).  For those exceptions, I simply clicked on the blank favicon, then clicked and dragged the website to the bookmarks bar again, chose edit to remove the text, and VOILA!, via a fresh install got my favicon back.  Then, I deleted the old one that was blank. 

Still not sure why an install of McAfee caused all this but since I've already got a job, I'll leave it to them to figure out. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

Look in Chrome --> Settings under "Appearance"

Is "Always show the bookmarks bar" checked?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Discussion successfully moved from Consumer to General Discussion

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
bikemusic
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Thanks.  Actually, it isn't the bookmarks bar that isn't displaying - it's the 30+ FAVICONS I had placed on the Bookmarks Bar, having edited each to delete the associated text and only display the icon for quick visual navigation in my workflow.

After much research, trial and error, none of the solutions found online worked (deleting cache in appdata/chrome, etc., running CC cleaner, closing, re-opening Chrome, et al).  The only thing that did work (in most cases) was to click on each blank favicon and load the site.  In 90% of the cases, all favicons reloaded.  Favicons associated with Google, interestingly, were the exception (even though on a Chrome browser!!).  For those exceptions, I simply clicked on the blank favicon, then clicked and dragged the website to the bookmarks bar again, chose edit to remove the text, and VOILA!, via a fresh install got my favicon back.  Then, I deleted the old one that was blank. 

Still not sure why an install of McAfee caused all this but since I've already got a job, I'll leave it to them to figure out. 

alex17pat
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

One of the best  text only browsers which I know are

Lynx

WebIE

Elinks

Labnol Text Browser

Text Mode Chrome Extension

source:- http://merabheja.com/12-text-only-browsers-for-browsing-in-slow-internet-connections/

frankog
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

I have the same problem, but not seeing how this is the correct solution.  I don't like losing all the icons on the favorites bar and in the bookmarks menu.   Several came back for me manually as I visited sites, but today they are all gone again.  Is there a setting somewhere to allow the software to ignore these?

Thanks

CrikeysM
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

I am still finding this is an issue. McAfee LiveSafe deleted all my Chrome bookmark "favicons" last year and I have had to visit every site to get them back again. This took me ages as I have loads! Since then I have always made sure that I keep the browser open on my computer so it can't do it again but, alas, it got me today when I accidentally shut all the browser windows. I once again have no favicons with any of my bookmarks. Can someone please fix this? It's not on when I am forking out loads each year on McAfee products.

CrikeysM
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

McAfee LiveSafe ran again last night when I'd closed my Chrome browser and all the shortcut/bookmark icons have been deleted again! I've got hundreds of them all just gone. Am I really the only person who has this problem?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community