cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_30293
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

McAfee Antivirus Plus not allowing Internet connection

I am once again experiencing this issue with the latest version of Internet Explorer (my browser preference, but also fails with FireFox) on my PC running Windows 7.  This happened a couple of days ago, and it just happened again after totally removing the McAfee program, running MCPR, and then re-installing.  It completed successfully (version 14.0.R12) and worked for awhile this morning, but in less than 4 hours time it's now not allowing Internet connectivity.  Disabling the Firewall allowed me to connect and access this website so I can enter this question and create this post.  There a numerous similar threads on this, so what's going on guys?

I had a similar issue back in May of 2015, and disabling NetGuard was the workaround then.  Now I no longer even see NetGuard as a component.

Buy the way, I've also experienced the McAfee lockup when it tries to update.  All of this is getting pretty old; please fix this guys.  I also noticed the message about Tech Support experiencing long hold times.  Perhaps it's all these issues with the McAfee Antivirus variants.

9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Re: McAfee Antivirus Plus not allowing Internet connection

Try resetting both the browser and firewalls to default, then restart your machine and see if it's OK then.

IE  - Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset > OK  (Can also be reached via Control Panel (in icons view) > Internet Options)

McAfee, open SecurityCenter > Web and Email Protection > Firewall > Restore Defaults > Apply

user_30293
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Thanks, but I'm not sure I want to reset my browser settings back to default (and I shouldn't need to in order to workaround a McAfee issue).  In fact I don't need to do anythng currently as Internet access is still working after disabling the McAfee Firewall for 15 minutes so I could post  my initial question to this forum.  It's probably been about 30 minutes now, and the Firewall is back on.  For how long we shall see.

Release 15 is supposedly trickling out ("throttled" is I believe McAfee's word for it), but when will I see it, and is it supposed to address these issues?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

The software relies on IE being at default settings.

You may make minor adjustments in Advanced settings but don't alter zone settings.

Support would tell you the same thing.

Another thing, never disable your firewall for any reason unless instructed to by a technician.

Yes there is an update in the works that should take care of the sticky updates issue.

I experienced it once and a reboot cured it for good, luckily for me.

user_30293
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

I don't believe I have messed with the IE Zone settings - in fact where are they in Advanced Settings, i.e. what section?

I'd prefer not to have to disable the Firewall, and if McAfee worked as it should, then I shouldn't have to.  In any case, Windows Firewall (updated today) takes over as my Firewall protection in the interim.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

Sorry the way I wrote it was confusing.  The zones are under the Security tab.

The vast majority of us never have to touch any settings at all, so something has to be different with your setup.

Another way is to run the Virtual Technician which can often repair stuff automatically.

If that doesn't help then I suggest you contact Technical Support, it's free.

If you've gone that route already, do it again and ask for escalation.

Best by phone, or online chat.

user_30293
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

I'm thinking that my issue is actually related to ClientAnalyticServices consuming too much CPU resulting in freezes or extremely poor performance, so I'm monitoring those 2 threads for new developments.  So far disabling that service so it displays "stopped' and not "stopping" has gotten me going again.  Until now, I've been experiencing these problems every day, so hopefully this latest action will stick until McAfee releases a fix to the Firewall component (which seems to use the aforementioned service).

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

That could well be the case.  Would you be willing to let the resident forums technician take a look at your machine?

It's all done confidentially and your personal stuff is never looked at.

user_30293
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Perhaps, are you referring to Selvan?  Let's see if I'm still up and running tomorrow.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

Yes, that's the person I meant.   Let me know.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community