Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steve7
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Losing Internet Connection (Again)

I went looking for the other threads about this issue and they've been deleted. 

I had the problem with browsers that would suddenly stop working, January into February and always had to reboot to knock it back into place.  It was cleared up a couple of weeks ago through a McAfee update.   However, there's a couple of issues.  1) There's times a small window will pop up (from the wifi adapter) telling me that internet connection has been lost.   But I guess it lasts a few seconds because I can try and go to a web site and it'll work, and another pop up window will tell me I'm connected again.   So connection is lost and then quickly regained.   I have not had to reboot.

But I was just in a Skype conversation and suddenly lost connection.  Not sure how long it took the Internet connection to return because I was trying to re-establish the Skype call, which I wasn't able to do.  I rebooted, but the desktop icons appeared and then vanished, so I brought up the task manger and I think it were the CPU and Disk - their usage were going through the roof.

Never did re-establish the Skype call (this could be a Skype issue, not a McAfee issue).

2) When I click to open a new browser tab or click a command, sometimes it might take 15 seconds for it to work (and three or four tabs would open because I clicked multiple times).   When I hover over a command, the cursor/arrow doesn't change to a pointed hand, it stays a cursor/arrow.    The tab or command not engaging happens maybe three times a day.  So not often, but it shouldn't be happening at all.  And this wasn't happening until after I got the McAfee update which fixed my original issue.

3)  The last few days I noticed that (some) web sites and emails are taking noticeably longer to load.

This is all with Firefox.  Haven't really tried I.E. yet.

So I don't know if all this is related to the original issue I had and/or the "fix" I got a couple of weeks ago, or something else entirely.

FWIW, I got the new McAfee interface, I guess it was about two weeks ago.

I have version 14.0,  14.0 R 13.

7 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Re: Losing Internet Connection (Again)

Could this be the discussion you were talking about?

Interface

I find it highly unlikely a thread has been deleted. Also checking the *Personal Firewall* section could be beneficial.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 8

What is your OS? Here is some fixes for Windows10,and they have some for Windows7/8.1.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
steve7
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 8

catdaddy wrote:

Could this be the discussion you were talking about?

Interface

I find it highly unlikely a thread has been deleted. Also checking the *Personal Firewall* section could be beneficial.

I'd doubt the interface is causing this issue, or whatever software and/or coding is behind it, but who knows? 

There were two threads this issue was going through, in Jan. and Feb.,  I posted to both but none of them are showing up in my "content."  One was titled: "McAfee Total Protection Corrupts Any Browser?"  When I clicked the link from an email (that I got after a recent posting), it says "The item does not exist.  It may have been deleted."

I did restore defaults to the Firewall today.  We'll see if it does any good.   But web sites are still sluggish on loading.

One thing, after my reboot today, I got a warning that the Web Advisor had been turned off.   But I didn't turn it off.

steve7
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 8

catdaddy wrote:

What is your OS? Here is some fixes for Windows10,and they have some for Windows7/8.1.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection -issues

Using 8.1.   Great, now I have to go through all this again?   I don't think it'll do any good.  Didn't do any good in Jan. or Feb., and I troubleshooted everything.   So as long as it's working....

My subscription runs out in a couple of months.  I'll probably uninstall McAfee when it does, use MS Firewall and A/V and see if it makes a difference.   

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Here is the Discussion you were talking about;

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
steve7
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Oh, ok, thanks.   Wonder why I got the error page and why my posts in that thread aren't showing up in my "content."

I created this post to see if anyone else is experiencing these same issues - post "fix."

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

To be honest I have no idea. I simply wanted you to know that it was there. We have no reason to delete any posts, especially if they follow the Community Terms of Use.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community