cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kathyg_nc
Contributor
Message 1 of 32

Just what is Mcafee Security Center?

When I bought my new Dell I chose to buy McAfee Security Center along with it.  It's a fine product and I would like to buy it for other PC's in my home but I've been unable to locate it in the McAfee store. 

What product is it comparable to?  Is it more like, McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2012, McAfee Internet Security 2012, or McAfee Total Protection 2012?

Thanks!

31 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 32

Re: Just what is Mcafee Security Center?

All have the Mcafee security centre as it is the GUI (Graphical user Interface) for all Mcafee programs. It just that each of the programs you mentioned have different or rather extra features as mentioned here.

http://home.mcafee.com/store/ProductComparison.aspx

arthurz1
Former Member
Message 3 of 32

thats just your security program go to mcafee for home and click on buy also consider mcafee site adviser

mxreader
Contributor
Message 4 of 32

I'm in simmilar situation and I'd like to know the full answer to this as well.  I am really annoyed with this commercially created mystery.  I'd like to add to this unanswered question with: Q2. what are the repercussion of uninstalling Security Center (SC) and installing say Total Protection. What will be or will  not be included?  Is SC just a GUI to connect the different services?   I'd like to know soon because my SC is about to expire.   SC is more expensive to keep than the other flavours of McAfee products.

Thanks in advance.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 32

Sc is only the Graphical user interface that each of the products use. The link I gave above shows what each product uses. If you have say Internet security and buy Total protection it is best to uninstall IS first before installing TP. 

The uninstall method is detailed in useful links tab above

The 3 products are

l 

McAfee AntiVirus Plus                                                                           McAfee Internet Security                                                                           McAfee Total Protection
mxreader
Contributor
Message 6 of 32

Thanks for the reply but here it is from my perspective:

I have been renewing SC since it came with the original Dell machine, it's always been refered to as SC.

It isn't easy to tell what "products" are included other than the obvious antivirus antispam and firewall.

As far as I can tell SC is the name of the product as distict from AV+, IS or TP, not just the GUI name.

When you say "uninstall IS..." well, there is no IS as such to uninstall... there is only SC to uninstall.

I see from your link that TP 2012 much cheaper than an SC resubscription.  I don't know if that is the best path to take but if it confuses still I may just look elsewhere for other brands which has an easier and more affordable upgrade/update path.

Hope there's more clarification to come.

Cheers.

Message was edited by: mxreader on 12/12/11 12:43:11 AM CST
mxreader
Contributor
Message 7 of 32

OK I found in "About" that my product is called

SecurityCenter Version 11.0

It has:

VirusScan v.15.0

Personal Firewall v.12

SiteAdvisor v.3.4

Anti-Spam v.12

Parental Controls v.13

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 32

Is there an online backup mentioned 1gb for Internet security 2gb for Total Protection.

If you do not show an anti theft program installed then you do have Internet security.

mxreader
Contributor
Message 9 of 32

Peacekeeper, if you are replying to me, then no, SC do not have online backup nor anti theft program.  All that I listed above is all there is and its expensive here in AU.

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 32

So yours is Internet security as far as I can tell.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community