cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 21 of 32

Re: Just what is Mcafee Security Center?

Sorry will point your issues to the admin

rodney
Former Member
Message 22 of 32

Please advise how to unsubscribe - sorry to have wasted your time. Thanks.

Regards

Rodney

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 32

To unsubscribe from any thread or discussion look at the top right of the page and click 'Stop email notifcations'.

(Click to enlarge)

Capture.JPG

keiooz
Contributor
Message 24 of 32

Like everyone actually says, Patience is a virtue, but sometimes it gets tired of waiting.. I have seen it somewhere in this site.

dandisney
Former Member
Message 25 of 32

I think I can help. I was confused too but I think I figured it out what version of McAfee I have. It's a pain to do all this, but I think it was worth it. FYI I, too, bought a Dell PC with McAfee installed. Security Center, as was previously mentioned, appears to just be the GUI.

First, open McAfee, click on Home in the upper right corner.  Something like this will appear:

McAfee 4.gif

Click on each down arrow and then write down the names of each installed component. Under Virus and Spyware Protection, I have "Scan your PC", "Real Time Scanning", and "Scheduled Scanning". Do that for each down arrow.

After you're done, click on Help in the upper right corner, then click on the Help link, not McAfee Support Website. That will take you to online help.

McAfee 2.gif

In the Content column on the left side, click on Home Page, Using Home Page, Understanding your protection features.

McAfee 3.gif

Next to that is an article showing the 3 McAfee products, AV+, IS, and TP, and the components which each product has. I cross checked what components I have against the components that each product has & I believe that I have a slightly stripped down version of IS. The only component I don't have is Online Backup. I have a feeling when I bought the PC, McAfee didn't offer it as part of IS, if they even offered it at all. And when I renewed each time, the Online Backup component never got installed.

sphinx01
Contributor
Message 26 of 32

Sorry here's the link..

http://home.mcafee.com/Default.aspx?affid=105

Message was edited by: sphinx01 on 26/08/12 17:32:49 CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 27 of 32

and why cannot you just go to the top right of security centre and click the about link? or is this a dell issue? Sorry did not read all the old posts .

dandisney
Former Member
Message 28 of 32

Sorry to be so long with this reply.  I hope all this makes sense.

I originally did click on the About link.  But that doesn't show all of the Features which you have in your version of McAfee.  This is not a Dell issue nor is it an issue with any other PC manufacturer because I have an Acer laptop.

(For full disclosure, I previously purchased 2 extensions after my original 3-year subscription expired.  The 2nd extension expired last week, so I wanted to purchase a new AV without spending $100+ that McAfee wanted to extend my old subscription. I saw deals for brand new subscription of AV+, IS, & TP for a lot less but couldn't figure out if my existing McAfee was any one of those because the GUI showed "Security Center".  After I figured out what version I had, I totally uninstalled all traces of the old McAfee (with the Dell logo & "Security Center" GUI) & installed a clean version of TP (without any PC manufacturer logo.)

These are the features which are now installed on my PC:

McAfee 1.gifMcAfee 2.gifMcAfee 3.gifMcAfee 4.gifMcAfee 5.gif

Open up online Help and in the Contents go to Home Page, Understanding your protection features.  That topic will show the Features associated with AV+, IS, and TP:

McAfee 6.gifMcAfee 7.gifMcAfee 8.gifMcAfee 9.gifMcAfee 10.gif

Notice that each of the Features installed on my PC are found on TP.  I can tell you that my old version of McAfee had SiteAdvisor. I now have SiteAdvisor LIVE. My old version had My Home Network.  I now have Home Network Defense.

If anyone opens McAfee & then opens up each Feature on your PC and then compares it to the list of Features in AV+, IS, & TP, you will know which version of McAfee on your PC. To repeat from above, clicking on About in the upper right corner does not show all features associated with your version of McAfee.

Also, after removing the old version of McAfee witht he GUI showing "Security Center", the newly installed version clearly shows TP:

McAfee 11.gif

Peacekeeper
Message 29 of 32

Actually easier to go open security centre and navigation (top right) and features left column. Shows installed features and features not installed but available.

can you post your Security centre version?

dandisney
Former Member
Message 30 of 32

McAfee 12.gif

In theory it would be easier to go to Navigation & look at the features column. But when you compare the Features on the main GUI page list:

McAfee 11.gif

to the features under Navigation (this is what's shown on my PC under Navigation):

McAfee 13.gif

McAfee 14.gif

McAfee 15.gif

there are differences. Some names of some of the features under Navigation are different when compared to the Features on the main GUI page.  And, in fact, some "features" under Navigation (such as Traffic Monitor, Quarantined and Trusted Items, and Automatic Updates) aren't even Features on the main GUI page.  Why is that?  I mean no disrespect but I think that people, yourself included, may be confused when they try to figure out what version of McAfee (AV+, IS, or TP) they have on a PC which had the program preinstalled at the factory.

I still stick by my idea that if anyone wants to figure out what version of McAfee they have on their PC (laptop or whatever) in which the program was preinstalled at the factory (called "Security Center" on the main GUI page) that they need to open up the 5 categories of "Features" on the main GUI page and then compare them to the list of features for each version of McAfee in online Help.  Do not compare the features under Navigation to the list in online Help.

Yes, it's not easy to figure out what version of McAfee is on a PC in which the program is preinstalled at the factory.  If it is easy to figure out, then why are there so many online forums, such as this one, trying to figure out what Security Center is and why no one can find it for sale on McAfee's website or any store?  I think that "Security Center" is just name of the McAfee GUI on PC's in which the program was preinstalled at the factory and that it is really just TP, IS, or AV+ in disguise.

It believe that renewing an existing subscription is more expensive than just installing a new subscription. And if we think about it, that makes sense because I think many people are more likely to not want to bother unstalling a program just to install it again.  Yea, it's a pain to uninstall and then install again, but I believe it to be worth it in the long run.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community