Did you mean: 
JWL
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Issues installing Total Protection

Windows v7 sp1

Explorer 9 update version 9.0.17

also have installed

Malwarbytes (ran full scan, no problems found, do not let this start up on start up only on demand) and

SpywareBlaster

Unistalled Total Protection

Installed Kaspersky (before uninstalling, no problems found)

Unistalled Kaspersky (but leaving the bits behind that it recommends when uninstalling, incase I have to use it again)

Trying to install Total Protection again, but not getting far because it is reporting there was a problem cleaning threats

Have run both mcpr and mcpreinstall

Ran the health check as was having problems, with the following results

File 

1 file(s) incorrect

Excluded File(s) or Folder(s) Present

C:\Users\Jan\AppData\Local\Temp\\*

VB Script Language {B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8} vbscript.dll

Expected COM Component File Path not Present

SYSTEM

2 System's information incorrect

Temporary internet files need to be deleted

Clear DNS resolver cache

(I did delete the temp files and cleared the dns)

May anyone help me narrow the problem down

- is it the "bits" I left on for Kaspersky

or one of the health check problems.

I'd really like to get back to having McAfee up and running.

Thanks very much.

9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Re: Issues installing Total Protection

Please install IE10.  Also use Kaspersky's removal tool http://support.kaspersky.com/common/service.aspx?el=1464

Make sure that all updates are installed through Windows Update using the Microsoft Update option to look for all updates rather than just major Windows ones.

The only ones to hide and ignore in future would be any language packs you don't need.

Run the MCPR cleanup tool:  http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe and reboot

Run the McAfee Preinstall Tool:  http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

Download and install from your online account.   It will object to Malwarebytes being present but you can safely ignore but if it's the paid version you may still need to uninstall it temporarily.

It will also object to Windows Defender if it is turned on and will disable it.  It can be turned on afterwards.

JWL
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Thank you very much for your time and knowledge.  It is much appreciated.

Having done all that and uninstalled malwarebytes (as I do pay for it) I wasn't winning so contacted chat.

Apparently one now has to have high speeds to download and my 285 is not sufficient, so going to have to put my thinking cap on as where I live the speeds required are an "oh I wish!"

So am in the process of reinstalling Kaspersky (which I am sad about as I do prefer McAfee; have been using it since Dr Solomon days) and Malwarebytes.

What I do find quite disconcerting is that one has to get rid of all protection in order to be able to install McAfee, and if one has a problem like this then one spends hours connected to the internet in a most vulnerable state.  Hope I haven't picked up any funnies during that time.

Once again, thanks very much.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

Oh that is too bad, my sympathies.   Yes the software system requirements do say "High-speed connection recommended" - maybe they should state "mandatory".

Good luck in your endeavours.

JWL
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

That is a very good idea and (especially for noggins, like myelf, who actually thought 285 was high speed!) an indication of what is considered to be high speed could be made along with the "mandatory".

Another thing that would help subscribers who are renewing, is if their attention could be drawn to any changes (like the speed requirements) that could have a detrimental affect on the renewing.

I have automatically assumed I could just continue renewing and updating as it has always worked in the past (over 10 years now) obviously a serious mistake on my part (verrrry slow learner?!).

Again, thank you for your time.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

To be honest I have no idea what 285 means but I have made this a subject of our next conference call with McAfee on Monday afternoon - to make the System Requirement page a little more "honest" yet again.   That is an old chestnut which we keep trying to crack, made worse when they decided to make all the software download-only.   It took us ages to convince them that 128mb of memory wasn't sufficient for instance.   For old-timers like me who remember the "old days" it's a case of uttering a big sigh and saying "how times (& computers) change".    I mean my Nexus tablet has more computing power than my first computer.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 10

I've been asked to ask you, did support offer to send you a CD or was that not possible?

JWL
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

285 - my download speed; ie 285kbs, 1/4 of what is required.

Yes, one does have to run to keep up and sadly as we reach this age we just can't run as fast as we used to.

Now, that's a thought - no, they didn't offer to send a CD to me and yes it would be possible.

Thanks for all you do, much appreciated.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 10

I will ask.

JWL
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Thank you.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community