Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bkauneli
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Issue with Google Redirects

Hi,

I having an issue with google redirects in IE9, I am running Vista Service Pack 2.  After the redirects started happening, I ran several thorough scans using both both McAfee Security Center and Malwarebytes and neither program came up with any viruses.  I contacted McAfee suport via chat, and the tech took over the computer and confirmed that I did indeed have a virus.  After that, I went to the discussion board and found this link and this document.  I made sure I had the latest Windows and McAfee Security Suite updates and ran the McAfee scan in safe mode, the scan did not detect any viruses.  I then ran the stinger in safe mode, and it did not detect any viruses either.  Finally, I adjusted the setting on stinger -- per the "Required Reading - Home User Assistance Malware Troubleshooting" document above -- and it said that it found 2 viruses and 2 trojans.  The stinger report is below:

Scan initiated on Thu Mar 31 01:52:02 2011

C:\Program Files\HP Games\uninstall.exe

Found theArtemis!9BB3F2B8AFD4 trojan !!!

C:\Program Files\HP Games\uninstall.exe is infected with theArtemis!9BB3F2B8AFD4 virus !!!

C:\System.sav\util\CHKIMAGE.exe

Found theArtemis!D6163DB67AB2 trojan !!!

C:\System.sav\util\CHKIMAGE.exe is infected with theArtemis!D6163DB67AB2 virus !!!

Number of cleanfiles: 214655

Number of infectedfiles: 2

I uploaded the files to WebImmune to scan for viruses and both files came back as inconclusive.  I also went to the McAfee Threat Intelligence website for help on dealing with the viruses, but searching for the viruses did not yield any results. 

I'm not sure what the next step is in removing the viruses from my computer, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

4 Replies
JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Re: Issue with Google Redirects

Hi,

Try this step if Proxy is enabled on Internet Explorer 9. If “Yes” then uncheckthe box as shown below:

(Navigation: Click Tools from the Menu bar of Internet Explorer > Select Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > Proxy server)

Go to menu "Tools", "Internet Options..."

LANN Settings 0.JPG

In the dialog select "Connections" tab

LANN Settings.JPG

Click the "LAN Settings..." button dialog, the following dialog will appear:

LANN Settings 2.JPG

If the checkbox "Use a proxy server for your LAN" is checked then uncheck that and check whether there any Google redirect.

bkauneli
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Hi Jai,

That was not the issue, the proxy server was not enabled.

Thanks

newjack
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Try to download this free program called hitmanpro.It has 5 cloud based antivirus scanners.It is a 30 day trial so If It finds anything you will have to just click the trial offer to remove.Unless of coarse you want to purchase it.It is worth a try.If you are redirected after clicking this site.Keep hitting the back button until it goes to the download page.Believe it or not this does work sometimes.

http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro

mit74
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

you need a dedictaed spyware program such as super anti spyware or spybot. both are free and available from cnet

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community