Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sortarsmiklos
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Isn't this strange?

Jump to solution

I have used McAfee protection for about five years and never received a warning that an email attachment was dangerous and should not be openend until the day before yesterday,  An email came on that day from a colleague in the USA with an attachment from one of his friends.  (The colleague regularly sends me emails with attachments from his friend.)  This time the attachment came with McAfee's dire warning.

And yesterday I got an email from the secretary of a charity in England with two attachments concerning the charity's program for 2013.  Both attachments came with the same grievous warning from McAfee.

Apart from those two emails I have not received any emails with attachments in the last couple of days.

Is it possible that an error has crept into the system?  It seems odd that after five years I should suddenly get three warnings in two days about attachments from completely unrelated sources,  But then, you never know.

(I could not work out from the web where in McAfee to address this question, so I joined this group to look for advice,)

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sortarsmiklos
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Re: Isn't this strange?

Jump to solution

I got on the phone to a Technical Adviser this morning, and he took over the reins for a couple of hours, uninstalled part of the program, reinstalled it, carried out various tests and handed the reins back to me.  Everything is in working order.

Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

It's possible a recent update tightened up security in the email scanning area but I wans't aware that had happened, most likely a certain type of threat has just been added to the database and the software was acting on that.     If a technician spots this post he would be able to advise you better on that score, but in the meanwhile Technical Support is free to phone or chat online with and available via Useful Links at the top of this page.

stanisluv
Contributor III
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

you didn`t say 2 things:

1) What was in attachments

2) Which program shows you that wranings: Anti-Spam or Virus-Scan.

sortarsmiklos
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Thanks.  I'll phone the UK number when their office opens on Monday morning.

sortarsmiklos
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Thanks.

The first arrachment was a video, probably forwarded round the block from one person to another.  The other two were almost certainy a couple of  Word pages typed by the small Society's Honorary Secretary on her pc.  I'll write to her and ask her if any other Members received alerts warning them against opening the agenda attachments,

All three alerts warned of "viruses, spyware and other potentially damaging programs.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

If the warning said 'may be dangerous' or words to that effect then it was just that, a warning.

sortarsmiklos
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

I got on the phone to a Technical Adviser this morning, and he took over the reins for a couple of hours, uninstalled part of the program, reinstalled it, carried out various tests and handed the reins back to me.  Everything is in working order.

Thanks for your help!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

Good.  All the best 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community