cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmort
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Installation issue

I am running 32-bit Windows 7. Recently I started having an error when I start a scan. I decided to reinstall my Internet Security and had problems with that. I got the error that it couldn't find:

x:\$windows.~bt\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\mfenlfk.inf_x86_neutral_f5eed0c05aed03bf

when doing the reinstall.

I followed a recent discussion about the preinstall and ran that. Same message. I ran the MCPR uninstall, ran the preinstall, and tried to install. Same message.

Why is this message coming up? Why is it looking for disk "x"?

Any suggestions, anyone?

16 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 17

Re: Installation issue

Sorry no idea that is a new 1. Better to ask tech support services via the useful links tab above. If they usnsure or unable to fix ask to escalate it. Note your job numbers

BTW what was the error you were getting starting a scan?

Out of interest have you a drive x?

If still a problem ask and I will push this up the line

pmort
Contributor
Message 3 of 17

It was an innocuous "an error occurred" message, nothing else. And, I do not have an x drive. I was wondering if that was supposed to link to the Mcafee website for it, but I guess not.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 17

Pushed up the line

Dinz
Former Member
Message 5 of 17

Hi pmort,

Could you please let us know some of the below information ;

Did you have / Do you currently have any other  security software in the PC ?

How old is the PC ???

How is the computer connected to internet  ? DSL/Wireless/Cable

Can you post us with the screenshot of the said error message .

Thanks,

pmort
Contributor
Message 6 of 17

I was originally running Spybot but uninstalled it. I was then running Microsoft Security but also uninstalled that. Superantispyware is running but McAfee doesn't make any mention of it in their installation incompatibilies.

My pc is about a year old.

I am connected via cable (road runner)

screen shot last install after deleting Microsoft Security.

I don't understand why the install is looking for something on the x drive, which I do not have.

screenprint.jpg

dougr_t3_suppor
Former Member
Message 7 of 17

Do some Google searches for $windows.~bt . You will see that this is a temporary folder used during Windows Setup. Many other users are complaining of the same thing. It looks like it boils down to taking ownership of the files and deleting them.

Regards,

pmort
Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Doug

I have searched for the file on my PC and have not found it anywhere. Earlier I even tried to change the download request to my c/: drive but also to no avail.

As I said earlier, the install was looking for the file on an x/: drive, which I do not have.

Help!

dougr_t3_suppor
Former Member
Message 9 of 17

We do have an FAQ for this. Apparently this can happen if you have ever had a McAfee installation for Enterprise or Small Business.

Solution: 

• Capture the file path and error message.
  • Check if customer used any of the McAfee SMB protection software (Total Protection Service, SaaS)  or the McAfee Enterprise Version of McAfee before on the Machine
  • If they have used, try to run the Removal tool http://vs.mcafeeasap.com/MC/enu/vs45/bin/mvsuninst.exe
  • Restart the Machine
  • Download and run MCPR.exe.(     TS100507)
  • If still an Error Dialog box appears and says "You need the file "mfenlfk.sys" McAfee NDIS Light Filter to continue the Installation, Stop the Installation
  • Try to delete the Traces of McAfee manually from c:\windows\system32 ,(How to delete the traces of McAfee driver catalog files:In windows Search type "mfe" and look for file name mfenlfk.cat , mfenlfk.sys,mfenlfk.pnf.
  • Restart the machine and initiating McAfee Installation.

Note : Don’t delete mfeerror.dll or mferror.sys they are not McAfee files, they are Microsoft Files, be careful in deleting the McAfee traces.

Message was edited by: dougr_t3_support on 9/9/11 4:15:10 PM PDT
pmort
Contributor
Message 10 of 17

I thank all of you for your help and thoughts. However, none of them worked.

What DID work, however, was when the file needed window popped up, out of frustration I clicked on the browse button. Voila - a window popped up with the needed file! I clicked on it and McAfee's installation continued on without a hitch.

As simple as that.

Hope this may help someone else in the future.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Paul

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community