cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vchimpanzee
Contributor II
Message 1 of 4

If the computer turns off or is turned off, how do I restart scan?

It happened this morning. The power went out for a few seconds but that was enough. Many times I have started a scan as early as possible in the morning only to have it not finish by the time I want to use my computer. Continuing the scan just slows down the computer so i have to pause it. Sometimes what I do causes the computer to freeze and unless I turn off the computer, it won't do anything. In some cases it's already too late for the scan because I get a message sayig it can't scan.  Turning off the computer, even if the scan was paused, means restarting it, which generally means i have to restart at the end of the day. I did learn how to keep the computer from going to sleep (which doesn't prevent the scan from continuing, but only after I take action) after I hadn't used it for a while, allowing the scan to finish without my turning the computer on manually several times.  If the computer is turned completely off, everything must start over.

I asked a tech support person about this and was told they'd have to change the software but he said he would suggest this.

3 Replies
sanjay
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 4

Re: If the computer turns off or is turned off, how do I restart scan?

@vchimpanzee

You would have to tweek the Power/Sleep settings on the PC. Allow sfficent time for the scan to complete before it's turned OFF/ goes to sleep mode.

Could please provide more information on the issue to help you better:

Which operating system are you runing McAfee on? I this a laptop or desktop PC?

Cheers

Sanjay

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
vchimpanzee
Contributor II
Message 3 of 4

Microsoft Edge/Windows 10, but there is no way to allow the scan to complete. I can't predict when the power will go out and I can't predict when the computer will freeze.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 4

Hello @vchimpanzee

If the power goes off when the scan is in progress, the only option will be to restart the scan again after turning on the machine and let it run from the scratch.

As far as the machine freezing is concerned, when a scan is in progress, McAfee does use the system resources which can lead to the machine getting frozen, that would however depend upon your system configuration like RAM, hard disk space, etc.

Regards
Farhan

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community