cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
new_tradition
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

I don't see a prompt window to input the product key for AntiVirus Plus 2012

Hi there, I'm a n00b to McAfee. After a nasty crash, I took my PC (Windows Vista home Premium) to a shop to clean it out and I'm starting over fresh. The shop gave me McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2012 to install onto my PC, but I don't see any place to put the product key. I was told when I "Activate" it, I should see a window prompt for the product ley, but I haven't.

(the shop already installed McAfee from the disc, but I'm trying to get the total one year protection)

So to lay out the specifics...

I click on "Subscription" which then shows "Activate" on the right side of the window.

I click on "Activate", and I get the window with the spinning wheel that it's activating the product, but...

Then I get the option to register or log on with an exisiting account. I log on, and I get this message:

ACTIVATION CAN'T CONTINUE

"We're sorry, but we're having trouble activating McAfee products. You can begin using your products now, but you won't recieve automatic updates."

I don't understand what the problem is and I'm unsure of what to actually do. I have until mid-May to get my full year protection, so time is ticking away 😕

EDIT: Before posting this, I tried registering the product key online with the Web Installation, and I got all the way to Running Program, but when I click Continue, the McAfee window (the tab in the toolbar says "McAfee Installer") is blank and doesn't seem to be loading.

3 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 4

Re: I don't see a prompt window to input the product key for AntiVirus Plus 2012

two thoughts did the shop install another AV prior to Mcafee? If they did not remove the other AV with its removal tool this activation issue can happen.

Also try

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100431

If not that call customer support (link in useful links tab above) they will sort this out. It is their bread and butter.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 30/04/12 7:49:35 PM
Dinz
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Re: I don't see a prompt window to input the product key for AntiVirus Plus 2012

Ok from the records we could see that you programs have been successfully registered with an expiry date till 2013 . So all you have to do is to follow the instructions here http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101331  to uninstall the program and reinstall it from your online account her : http://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp

Note: You have to enter you @gmail.com email address and password that you entered while registration to  access your McAfee account and install the program by following the instructions here: http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100342

Thanks,

dieguits
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

I would un-install what the shop installed.

Afterwards, I would enter www.mcafee.com/mav/retailcd.

Prompt window to input key will be immediately shown. You will be asked to enter your Mcafee account, in case you were not in before-hand. This process will take you no more than two minutes.

Regards,

Dieguits

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community