cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john9210
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

I can’t remove McAfee from my computer

I’m using Windows 7, 64 bit. I can’t completely removeMcAfee from my computer. After running uninstall, the Security Center seems tostill be on the computer. I still get McAfee warnings about programs wanting togain access the internet.

I’ve worked with the chat room three times in an attempt toremove McAfee Virus program from my computer. All attempts failed. Each time thetechnicians have had me run MCPR.exe in the Windows mode. When I reboot, thecomputer crashes. I have to go to the Safe Mode and run system restore.

The last time, I ran MCPR in the safe mode, but it wouldn’trun. I got the error “the process cannot access the file because it is beingused by another process”. Naturally, it doesn’t say what file or what process.Even though the MCPR would not execute in the safe mode, when I tried to returnto windows, the computer crashed. I again had to go back to safe mode and usesystem restore.

8 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Re: I can’t remove McAfee from my computer

System Restore will have also restored McAfee I would assume.   But it also could have restored malware so I suggest doing the following.

As a precaution run a full scan using the FREE version of THIS software and update it first before running.

If malware prevents you doing that in regular more, do all that in 'Safe Mode with Networking' reached by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up and selecting #2 from the menu.

It works in that mode.

Back to the McAfee software......

If normal removal and MCPR both fail to remove McAfee then either it wasn't the consumer version of McAfee protection that was installed in the first place, you can clarify that for us, or, if it was, we will have to start a very long and laborious registry cleanup method which will take hours.  I can explain that later.

Have you by any chance been using registry cleaners?   This is the usual result of that.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/06/11 4:31:33 EDT PM
john9210
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

I downloaded and ran Malewarebytes (full scn). It found no problems. For good measure, I also ran SpyBot. Again, no problems.

McAfee was a six month trial version that came preloaded on the computer when I bought it around 7 months ago. And, yes, I do use registry cleaners: Registry Booster and CCleaner.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 9

Registry cleaners often remove too much and are one of the causes of these problems with malfunctioning software.

If you recently ran one and it has a reverse or restore button try that and then see if things work better.

If not then to remove McAfee (or any similarly effected software) is a rather long and laborious process.

Here are the manual removal steps for anything by McAfee (or anything for that matter - just change the name...!)

Go to Start/Run and enter regedit and click OK.

A page should open with the top left hand corner looking like this:

https://sa-live.com/l?v=0&ui=0&p=000c00000000000000000000400000000000&spid=mcafee-forums&url=-+6a6e682f71697075706376646c66752f64706e/albums/v732/Ex-Brit/My%2520Stuff/Regedit.jpg

If for some reason it's expanded, collapse it and then highlight My Computer (Computer in Vista/Windows 7).

Go to File tab and click "Export" and send all of the registry to your desktop. This is in case something goes wrong. It can then be rebuilt by simply right-clicking that desktop item & selecting 'merge'.

Now click the Edit tab and then "Find". Enter "McAfee" (minus the "") then click "Find next" (or hit the enter key).

Whatever is found, right-click and delete.

Hit your F3 key for the next instance and keep going until all entries are gone.

If one says it can't be deleted this is where it gets complicated. You have to then find which key on the left column pertains to it and right-click/Properties/Permissions and give yourself permission/ownership.

It's a long process.

john9210
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

Peter:

You weren’t kidding when you said it’s a long process! I cleaned out the registry. There were a few entries I could not delete. Got errormessages: “deleting certain registry values could cause instability”; Unable todelete specified file”. Can’t I just leave these entries? There don’t seem tobe many, perhaps a half dozen  or so.

Also, I scaned my computer and found a number of folders titled mcafee and mcafee.com. They are in C:\Program files, C:\programfiles\common files; C:\program data and C:\program files (86). Can I justdelete these folders and their contents?

I did reboot to make sure the registry was ok. No problems.

John

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 9

Delete any folders labelled as such and that probably will take care of the rest of those registry entries.  If you have problems deleting anything, take ownership.  This should help:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1911-take-ownership-shortcut.html?ltr=T

john9210
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

Peter: Also, the task manager shows that the McAfee SecurityCenter process is running. It also identifies the following services (which areall stopped): McAfee Network Agent; McAfee Virus Scan Announcer; McAfeeServices; McAfee Personal Firewall Services. How can I delete these?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 9

Delete anything McAfee.   You can't delete something from task manager but you can go to its location and do it there.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 9 of 9

john9210 wrote:

I’m using Windows 7, 64 bit. I can’t completely removeMcAfee from my computer. After running uninstall, the Security Center seems tostill be on the computer. I still get McAfee warnings about programs wanting togain access the internet.

I’ve worked with the chat room three times in an attempt toremove McAfee Virus program from my computer. All attempts failed. Each time thetechnicians have had me run MCPR.exe in the Windows mode. When I reboot, thecomputer crashes. I have to go to the Safe Mode and run system restore.

The last time, I ran MCPR in the safe mode, but it wouldn’trun. I got the error “the process cannot access the file because it is beingused by another process”. Naturally, it doesn’t say what file or what process.Even though the MCPR would not execute in the safe mode, when I tried to returnto windows, the computer crashed. I again had to go back to safe mode and usesystem restore.

Hi john9210,

Contrary, to what other says, the only good Registry Cleaners, presents to you,, what it wants to remove and the reason why for each one. A good Registry Cleaner, is TuneUp Utilities 2011 from http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/ and there is a 15-day Trial Period.

Aside from that, MCPR can't run in Safe Mode.

You haven't stated what version of McAfee you wanted to remove.

You haven't stated which MCPR you are attempting to use.

My Experience, using Add or Remove Programs or Programs and Features to remove McAfee newest versions, is a nightmare.

I have always used the MCPR to remove the newer versions of McAfee. The latest is:http://beta.mcafee.com/betamcafee/resources/MCPR_5.0.273.1.exe

You must reboot the computer after running the tool.

Note: Once you remove, McAfee, you can sign up and test and use the latest Beta Version of McAfee Total Protection 5.0 Beta.. The drawback is that everything gets installed, whether you use it or not. Plus, you must report the bugs.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community