cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 14

Re: I am getting this message saying that my computer is at risk and my real time scanning gets off every 5 to 10 minutes.

Well first of all, I have learned over the years to ignore logs, event logs etc. etc. otherwise I would be a nervous wreck within 5 minutes.  Windows by its very nature throws up errors constantly.

All you can do, if the software is malfunctioning, is ask Technical Support to escalate the issue.

unhappyuser123
Former Member
Message 12 of 14

Re: I am getting this message saying that my computer is at risk and my real time scanning gets off every 5 to 10 minutes.

Well the fundamental problem with AVP seems to be after the initial install it brings up a window with all statuses showing green -- Real Time Scanning, McAfee Updates etc.  And in my case the product didn't even install correctly as evidenced by the messages written by McAfee product in its log files but still the AVP UI screens showed all green statuses. Here is one example of the error message from McAfee log:

12/10/2013 07:47:46 PM$ -- (Error)$ [   McBrwsr2.dll]$ The parameter name wasn't found!

12/10/2013 07:47:46 PM$ -- (Error)$ [   McBrwsr2.dll]$ Exiting - FAILED

The product unravels a few hours after the install when the McAfee Anti Malware core crashes for various reasons.  McAfee AVP still gives us the impression that the McAfee updates and McAfee scans are running correclty even when McAfee Anti Malware core process had crashed.  If the Anti Malware core process had crashed I would expect McAfee product UI window should show some message saying the product has failed due to some system error instead of saying "Real Time scanning is off".

Just to make sure there is no conflict between McAfee and any other software product I have on my PC, I did a clean restore of my PC, applied all available patches and updates to Windows XP SP3 and reinstalled McAfee AVP.  McAfee error logs still show number of errors.  If the product crashes again I will be giving up on this.  Just wanted to share my experience here hoping it may be useful to other Windows XP users who try to install McAfee AVP 2014. 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 14

When you reinstalled Windows did you also update IE to IE8?  That's important as McAfee relies on it for functionality.   IE does NOT have to be your default browser.   Contact Technical Support and ask them to work on the problem.   It's free of charge and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 14

Support for XP should run out with whatever the current version is in 2014....so probably sometime in 2015.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community