cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
munsarma
Former Member
Message 1 of 14

I am getting this message saying that my computer is at risk and my real time scanning gets off every 5 to 10 minutes.

I am getting this message saying that my computer is at risk and my real time scanning gets off every 5 to 10 minutes. I am able to turn on the Real-Time Scanning. But again same story after 5 to 10 mts. This started about two days back when allowed McAfee updates to be downloaded and restarted the computer. Please advice me how do I over come this issue.

Regards,

Sarma

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/12/13 7:02:55 EST AM
13 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 14

Re: I am getting this message saying that my computer is at risk and my real time scanning gets off every 5 to 10 minutes.

I abbreviated your headline as no need to be so long.    Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes any problems:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If it doesn't fix it, uninstall in the normal manner via Control Panel > Programs

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Reinstall from your online account.

If you need them Technical Support are available free of charge and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

conductorwho
Former Member
Message 3 of 14

Re: I am getting this message saying that my computer is at risk and my real time scanning gets off every 5 to 10 minutes.

Also try seeing if the process is active. Open task manager [CTRL+ALT+DEL] and select "services". Sort by description and find the McAfee anti-malware core service, and then check its status; from what it looks like all McAfee processes except McODS should be set to running.

Thankfully the MVT also will do this process automatically, if ya don't want to fiddle with the process manager.

unhappyuser123
Former Member
Message 4 of 14

Hi I am also having the same issue with Real Time scanner turning itself off after starting.  It has been happening since the first day I installed McAfee AVP few days back.  Looks like whenever I interrupt anything that McAfee MVP is doing (updates, real time scan etc.) it is not recovering gracefully.  The first time it happened when McAfee triggered Windows Update to install an update and it couldn't complete successfully (hanging at 50% complete forever).  I uninstalled McAfee and did a clean install and disabled the automatic update feature.  I am planning to do manual update at my own schedule so that I don't have to cancel it in the middle.  The recent episode with real-time scanning happened when the real-time scan started in the middle of my watching a video.  I cancelled the real-time scan and now it will not start back.  Each time I turn on real-time scan it will turn itself off after few minutes.  Also the service McAfee Anti-Malware Core is also crashing and I am not able to start it.  I have run MVT multiple-times, uninstalled McAfee thrice in the past few days and reinstalled it, hoping it would work correctly and recover gracefully when a task is cancelled.  Will continue to follow this forum and see if McAfee is releasing any updates to the product to make it more stable. 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 14

unhappyuser123 wrote:

Hi I am also having the same issue with Real Time scanner turning itself off after starting.  It has been happening since the first day I installed McAfee AVP few days back.  Looks like whenever I interrupt anything that McAfee MVP is doing (updates, real time scan etc.) it is not recovering gracefully.  The first time it happened when McAfee triggered Windows Update to install an update and it couldn't complete successfully (hanging at 50% complete forever).  I uninstalled McAfee and did a clean install and disabled the automatic update feature.  I am planning to do manual update at my own schedule so that I don't have to cancel it in the middle.  The recent episode with real-time scanning happened when the real-time scan started in the middle of my watching a video.  I cancelled the real-time scan and now it will not start back.  Each time I turn on real-time scan it will turn itself off after few minutes.  Also the service McAfee Anti-Malware Core is also crashing and I am not able to start it.  I have run MVT multiple-times, uninstalled McAfee thrice in the past few days and reinstalled it, hoping it would work correctly and recover gracefully when a task is cancelled.  Will continue to follow this forum and see if McAfee is releasing any updates to the product to make it more stable. 

It shouldn't be behaving that way and if the steps in my first response don't help then follow my last suggestion, open a case with Technical Support, it's free of charge.

conductorwho
Former Member
Message 6 of 14

unhappyuser123 wrote:

uninstalled McAfee thrice in the past few days and reinstalled it,

Did you use the MCPR cleanup tool after the uninstall as Ex-Brit advised the OP to try?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 14

...and a freshly downloaded copy too as it is constantly updated.

unhappyuser123
Former Member
Message 8 of 14

Last night I did one more fresh install of AVP after running MVT and MCPR.  Just to prevent product instability I disabled McAfee updates and see how long it runs.  Manually started a full virus scan of my PC using AVP before went to bed.  In the middle of the night McAfee Anti Malware core had crashed again.  With that now I am back to the Real Time Scanning Off issue and nothing else works.  The virus scan also I presume didn't complete as I don't see any record of it in the AVP Security History log.  I am using the McAfeesetup.exe that I had downloaded when I entered my product code initially.  I cannot get another copy of this since McAfee says I already have used the product code.  But I believe McAfeesetup.exe is getting the latest copy of AVP each time it executes.  

I am bit hesitant to go to McAfee support because this similar product instability issue has happened to me before 3 years ago.  The tech support took control of my PC and they did something to fix it but didn't tell me what they fixed and how they fixed it. After that episode the next 3 years I used different security products before trying with McAfee again this year.  Will give it couple of more tries before I move on to some other security product. 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 14

Well there are two obvious, to me at least, reasons that could be the cause of this, 1) disabling updates will cause errors in the end, as soon as 12 - 24 hours in fact, and 2) using the installer that you originally used is installing an old version most likely so the problem will simply reappear.

Every McAfee user that has ever registered or activated a product has an online account page where they can always download the very latest version of the software.

You are in the USA so it's here:  https://home.mcafee.com/secure/protected/login.aspx?rfhs=1 or if you get yours from your PC maker or ISP there may be a special account page which they must have provided you with at some stage.

So the point I'm making is, go through the uninstall via Control Panel, run a fresh copy of MCPR and reboot and then download from your online account and nowhere else.

Otherwise your only hope is Technical Support, they are good and they are free and available by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links ta the top of this page

unhappyuser123
Former Member
Message 10 of 14

Hi Ex_Brit

Sincerely appreciate the time you take to moderate this forum and answering our questions.  Here is the latest update on my issue.  Got in touch with McAfee Tech support and spent more than 2 hours with them (Level 2 support).  The Tech support downloaded some Windows updates (.Net 4.0) and reinstalled the McAfee AVP and told me it worked.  Even as they were saying the product is working correctly I was seeing error messages in the log files under the sub-directories of c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\MCLOGS directory.  McAfee support didn't check the logs and simply told me the product works fine and I can contact them again if this issue happens again.  Well last night as I feared McAfee Anti Malware core process again crashed and I am back to the several problems associated with it, including Real Time Scanning Off issue.  I tried researching McAfee support FAQ for the "McShield crashed error" that I see in my Windows Event Log.  But I am not being allowed to search the FAQ without running MVT in McAfee support page !  I need someone to take a holistic view of this problem and tell me what all I should check when installing McAfee in Windows XP.  At this moment I am out of ideas and don't want to spend another 2 hours with McAfee support when they take control of my PC.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community