cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_164699
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

How to install total protection 2011

Hope someone can help.  Before I start I have to admit to being a thicko regarding computers and get by more by good luck than anything else!

I soon will have to put the 2011 total protection on my PC as it's nearly time for the old one to expire.  I had a rough idea of how to do it i.e go to add/remove programmes and remove Mcafee, then run the removal tool to get rid of the last remmnants, then I hoped it would just be a case of inserting the CD and following on screen instructions to install the 2011 version.  As previously mentioned I am not very good at these things so contacted support and asked them if they would send me an e-mail with a step by step guide.

I empaphised in my e-mail that I was a bit nervous about doing the install. (yes i'm still a thicko)

The reply that came back sadly was not what I expected, reading through the e-mail it totally bamboozled me and made me think I would need a degree in I.T. to carry out the task, it was so so technical!!

Yes I had to remove existing security suite, so far so good as I am able to do this, then I had to run removal tool, yes I can also do this, then the hard bit came and I quote:

step 4

Reset the internet explorer, with extremely complicated instructions of how to to it,  I never had to do this last year so my question is, is it really necessary?

I have windows XP and will (hopefully) be installing by way of shop bought CD.

Any help would be much appreciated. just wish these things were a bit more user friendly!!

2 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 3

Re: How to install total protection 2011

Yes  best to remove via

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

reboot and run this it will reset IE for you

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

Then use the cd.

RE XP what service pack?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: How to install total protection 2011

Hi Doug,

Were you able to get the programs downloaded without any issues ?

Regards,

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community