cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sam333
Former Member
Message 1 of 32

How to get rid of annoying McAfee pop up ad

Odd that a company that is supposed to fight spam engages in the most obnoxious spam I've seen in a while.

I wasted an hour with customer supprt today trying to get rid of the "Exclusive online offer " pop up that keeps appearing on my screen.  They told me it was gone, but it just popped up again.  It seems to pop up every couple of hours.

I checked this forum and was told there's nothing that can be done.

Just want to check again if there is now a way to get rid of this.

If not, I'm uninstalling this software, as I'm not going to close that box multiple times a day. 

Thanks

Sam

31 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 32

Re: How to get rid of annoying McAfee pop up ad

It shouldn't happen repeatedly but only once.  Something is stuck in the registry or the registry is corrupted.  Have you been using any kind of PC Optimizer/Tune-Up software?  

That all said, I haven't seen such an ad in months and am wondering it's peculiar to your suite, whatever it is.  Did your ISP supply it by any chance?

The answer would be to uninstall via Control Panel, Programs, Uninstall a Program (Add or Remove Programs in XP), then use the MCPR cleanup tool linked under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and reinstall from your account.

Actually Technical Support would be more help to you than Customer Service, who deal only with account matters, and it's a free phone call or online chat, also via Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/12/11 6:06:11 EST PM
sam333
Former Member
Message 3 of 32

It was tech support I spoke to and spent an hour with , as they tried to get rid of it.  They told me it was fixed, but it still pops up every couple of hours. 

It's definitely part of the McAfee suite because when it comes up, if I go to task manager and end the Mcafee process it kills the ad. 

I haven't been using any tune up software.  I'm not sure, according to your advice, which programs I'm suppose to uninstall.

Is there anything else I can do about this other than wasting another hour with tech support?? 

Given it's coming from the Mcaffee program, is there a way to just have it not run at all until I start it up to run a scan?  That would be better than having to close that ad every couple of hours.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 32

I believe you and I know the ad you are talking about but it shouldn't appear more than once and it didn't happen here at all, which makes me more curious as to why you got it.  It could be because I'm using the top product - Total Protection perhaps, but I don't have all of its compoenents installed so theoretically I should be getting ads too.   Did you run the uninstall, cleanup , reboot and reinstall routine?

sam333
Former Member
Message 5 of 32

The tech support person I was on the phone with for an hour did that whole reinstall and reboot process and it didn't make the ads go away.

My subscription is good till next May, but every couple of hours this ad pops up asking me to extend it.

So you're saying this isn't a feature of the software, but a bug or corruption in my version?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 32

It appears to be a bug in your setup but as you've gone through the usual routine it should have been cleared up.  If you are prepared to wait until late Monday or Tuesday I can make this a subject for the agenda of our next conference call with McAfee on Monday afternoon and see what the McAfee people say.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 32

By the way, is the software purchased from McAfee or provided by a 3rd party, if the latter, who?

sam333
Former Member
Message 8 of 32

I can definitely wait.

The software came with a Dell computer and the initial subscription was given free by Dell. 

I saw in past posts about this issue, it was thought that it was Dell Software doing this, but I can confirm that it is mcagent.exe that is running that ad, because when I kill the process the ad dissappears. 

By the way, my subscription is good until next May, it's shows as such in the security center, but the ads keep popping up every couple of hours asking me to renew.

Thanks for your help

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 32

You're welcome.  I'll get back on Monday or Tuesday.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 32

Possible solution, as they are aware of a bug, try disabling Netguard and then following the popup links as if you are actioning it.   Then hopefully the popup will go away.   If it doesn't recur 2 hours later, then re-enable Netguard.

Open SecurityCenter

Click Web and Email Protection

Click Firewall

Click Netguard and turn it off.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/12/11 4:13:53 EST PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community