Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 25

Re: How to delete large log files

​,

Have you attempted to contact Technical Support as suggested in Post #2\and Post #7?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 12 of 25

Edward Preble wrote:

Are there any other options before I proceed with the uninstall/reinstall route? I'm concerned that it will simply keep happening if I can't find the actual solution.

Thanks again!

Hi Edward,

Please reach out to Support whom has tools to disable Verbose logging. If you are comfortable (doing yourself) I can send the instructions through a Private Message.

edwardp
Former Member
Message 13 of 25

I haven't contacted support yet because they don't have any kind of email option. I don't have the ability to use chat or phone at work right now.

Is there a way to delete the file without uninstalling?  Disabling logs etc may solve the going forward problem, but I still cant get rid of the file.

Instructions to disable the verbose logging would be great to try.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 25

There is no way to delete it other than removing all McAfee software, rebooting and starting again with a fresh installation.

I have the self-same file in my MSC LOGS folder but it's only 34MB in my case.

I tried disabling Access Protection and deleting it, it wouldn't go stating that it was open (in use) in Home Network, so I left it alone.

As to the possibility that verbose logging was turned on, that would only be the case if you had  been connected with a technician at some stage and somehow it was accidentally left turned on.

I will leave that possibility to .  However it wouldn't be memory usage that you would notice then, it would be physical storage size diminishing steadily as the hard drive filled up with logs.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 25

You could try searching your hard drive for a bat file called McLogCollect - if found, run it and turn off verbose logging in it's settings..

I don't think that's the case here.  Something major must have have happened in order for the logs to amass such a quantity of items.

Peacekeeper
Message 16 of 25

I feel you have done all you can here as you have not contacted support the verbose logging would not be applicable and as a tech said the logs it creates can be deleted.

Try the firewall log turning off worth a check to confirm if this the cause. I so fell it is uninstall then reboot run MCPR removal tool then reboot reinstall time. It does not take too long and the file will be gone.

edwardp
Former Member
Message 17 of 25

Thanks once again everyone for the continued tips.

I did a "safe-mode without networking" reboot, which did not load mcafee, which therefore allowed me to delete the file. I have now rebooted normally, and no file has reappeared so far. I have disabled the firewall logging. If the file stays gone for a couple days, maybe I'll restart the firewall logging and see if that was the issue or not if the file then reappears.

In summary of things that were not found to be the problem:

1- McLogCollect file does not exist on my PC

2- I haven't ever had a tech support issue, so verbose logging would never have been turned on, unless it came installed that way.

3- I am in a well above average network security environment, so I would not expect anything unusual to be going on network wise, but of course I can't be 100% sure of that. The PC is only ~1 year old, and I've never had any security/virus issues. As far as I know, my mcafee install is simply the straight stock install from Dell with no changes.

4- Firewall logging was on, and is now off. I'll test this a couple times and see what happens and see if the file reappears or not.

5- I have not used the vault file protection feature

Thanks again!

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 25

Thank you for the update

Here is hoping all remains well !

Regards,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Peacekeeper
Message 19 of 25

Good to hear with firewall logging on there will be a log created but should not be large.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 25

Sounds like everything is under control, good luck 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community