cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edwardp
Former Member
Message 1 of 25

How to delete large log files

My McAfee livesafe install has an 8GB log file that I can't delete. There are no log cleaning settings in the program that I can find, and the file itself is access-locked, so it can't be deleted easily.  How can I get rid of this?  Secondly, what is allowing the file to bloat so badly in the first place that can be fixed?

Attachment shows a screenshot of the file in question...

Thanks!

24 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 25

Re: How to delete large log files

Strange I have a 8Mb file as the largest log file. Will ping a tech to comment.

Mate have you seen this

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 25

You haven't created a vault with file lock have you?

or had support run a log collecting program to sort out an issue and they activated verbose logging?

If selvan does not reply soon call support

Support

I have an idea how to delete the file but best wait till we see what Selvan says the file is.

Reading old posts 1 says it is a log of firewall events in so in  Firewall \ firewall history deselect lo events. Really I have it selected so unless you are being hit heavily I cannot see it building so high.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 25

Moved from Support Forums to General Discussion > Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 25

Sigh...I inadvertently moved this thread to (Spanish) Consumer General Discussion. Not hard to to make a mistake,as both are together. Will tag someone whom monitors this area to move to Consumer (General Discussion).

Have contacted Marina from Spanish Support.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
sanjay
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 25

@catdaddy

Consumer>Discussion

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 25

Yes, I just sent Marina a DM asking her to move it there for me, as I have no permissions in Spanish Support;)

Ah...:) I see it has been moved! Thanks..

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
sanjay
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 25

If you enabled Firewall Event logging try disabling it and observe the file size over a period of time. Verbose logs are not generally access locked and should get deleted in a jiffy. If you still have apprehensions its best to contact Support so that the issue can be analysed better.

Cheers

Sanjay

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
hristo_manolov
Former Member
Message 9 of 25

Hello  

edwardp
Former Member
Message 10 of 25

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have check the following:

Vault with File Lock: I do not have this option in McAfee Live Safe, so I assume it's off, and I haven't intentionally used it even if it is on.

Firewall Logs: Logs were turned on to log all events. I can't imagine that I have 8GB of stuff going on in this area though. The file is so large I can't open it, easily, even with sublime text reader. Regardless, I have shut this off. If it is correct that the firewall log would not be deletion protected, then this is not the issue because the log file is not deletable, with the following error: "The action can't be completed because the file is open in McAfee Home Network"

Are there any other options before I proceed with the uninstall/reinstall route? I'm concerned that it will simply keep happening if I can't find the actual solution.

Thanks again!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community