cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kah20
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

How is a virus affecting my Yahoo Messenger?

Jump to solution

a day ago i got a random messege from one of my contacts on yahoo instant messenger asking "is this your photo" followed by a link. confused, i clicked and found that the site was a virus. immediately afterwards i noticed that my messenger closed itself. when i got back on i got messeges from several of my contacts asking me why i sent a message. i asked them what they meant and they all sent a copy of the same messege that i clicked with maybe a number off.

i have scanned my computer and quarantined the one virus it picked up that i presumed to be the culprit but it continues to happen, even though my computer comes up as virus free now. and every few minutes my messenger shuts off and when i get on i notice that all of my contacts are hilighted.

i decided to check all of them and notice that "I" sent them the virus laced messege again though im not in control. has anyone else had this problem and how do i get rid of it?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ConorD62
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

Re: How is a virus affecting my Yahoo Messenger?

Jump to solution

Run a Malwarebytes scan, then a TDSSkiller scan, if the malwarebytes scan finds nothing.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ConorD62
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

Run a Malwarebytes scan, then a TDSSkiller scan, if the malwarebytes scan finds nothing.

kah20
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

where can i find these two programs?

ConorD62
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

http://www.malwarebytes.org

Download http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.zip and save it to your Desktop.

Extract its contents to your desktop.

Once extracted, open the TDSSKiller folder and doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then on Start Scan.

If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue.

If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, choose it.

It may ask you to reboot the computer to complete the process. Click on Reboot Now

Click the Report button and copy/paste the contents of it into your next reply.

michellespear
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

I just had a message from Facebook to say that there is a virus and that i need to scan and remove using McAfee software. However, I checked my computer with my McAfee security which said that there has not been any virus detected. Is this a scam or geniune?

I am also having problem with my Microsoft Outlook sending and receiving as was told that spams and viruses has been detected too. Again McAfee has not detected any viruses, spams, etc.

Please does anyone know what is going on???? and what I should do to retore functionality of both. Thanks.

ConorD62
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

@Kah20,

Did it fix your problem?

@Michelle.

I've heard of that before, I'm not quite sure what it is yet, but I think it's fake.

Run a malwarebytes scan and then a TDSS killer scan, with my instructions on post 3.

Thanks.

michellespear
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Thanks Connor

I will do as your suggestions. Will this also work on my Outlook 2010? I am experiencing sending and receiving difficulties over the last 3 to 4 days. Particularl problem with sending out when i get error message saying there is spam detected. Do i still use your suggestion?

Regards

ConorD62
Former Member
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

You could try asking here: msofficeforums.com

As, I personally don't use Outlook, and do not know the support for it.

Please use both the suggestions, if Malwarebytes finds something, post the log.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community