Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jedmunds
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

How do you turn mcafee off?

Jump to solution

My backup system will not run with Mcafee installed.  Is there some way to turn Mcafee off instead of having to completely deleted it from the system?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jedmunds
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

Re: How do you turn mcafee off?

Jump to solution

Thanks everyone.  I decided to start fresh and reinstalled McAfee and my backup  program and things are working now.  I reinstalled McAfee first and tried a backup and it worked,  Then reinstalled my backup program for good measure and things still worked fine.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

You should be able to use the backup system by allowing it through the firewall.  However it's best to ask Technical Support for advice on that.  It's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page,

But if you'd prefer to leave yourself open to attack you can disable the software.

Open McAfee SecurityCenter

Click Virus and Spyware Protection

Click Real-Time Scanning

Click Turn Off and then tell it for how long.

Don't forget to turn it back on again afterwards.

You can do the same for Firewall by clicking the Web and Email Protection section.

jedmunds
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

When you say "disable" are you saying  uninstall it?  The only time I would need not to have Mcafee running is the short time that the backup  was occuring.  So, is there anyway to "disconnect" and then turn it back on without going through the time for unistalling and reinstalling?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

If you follow the suggestions Ex_Brit made in Post #1, you can (Temporarily) "Disable", not "Uninstall" your Realtime Scanner. He is simply stating, it is never actually (Safe) to turn it off. However you have the choice to do so, (Temporarily) by his Guidelines.

Afterwards, make certain you go back through the same steps, and turn it back (On)

I might add, again as Ex_Brit stated. The same can be done  in regards to your "Personal Firewall" By following those detailed Guidelines.

In certain scenarios, like when installing Programs that you know and trust, like let,s say a "Service Pack" for example. This may need to be done, but only until you have safely,and completed your Download/installation.

Regards,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 4/21/14 1:34:58 AM CDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

Disabling the software is not the same as uninstalling it.  It's simply turning it off.

My point was that it shouldn't be blocking it and Technical Support could no doubt find out why and clear it for you so you don't have to turn anything off.

sol
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

Is there a way to exclude certain files for the backup so you would not have to disable/turn off the protection. I think this may be where the support staff can assist you

jedmunds
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

Thanks everyone.  I decided to start fresh and reinstalled McAfee and my backup  program and things are working now.  I reinstalled McAfee first and tried a backup and it worked,  Then reinstalled my backup program for good measure and things still worked fine.

Thanks!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

jedmunds wrote:

Thanks!

That would have been my last suggestion.  Glad it worked.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution

Discussion locked & unnecessary posts removed.....;-)

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/04/14 3:34:59 EDT PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community