cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kujaku01
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

How can I turn on the alert sound in the new version of Total Protection?

I cannot find it in alert option. Pls inform me about wahre it is. Thank you very much in advance.

9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Re: How can I turn on the alert sound in the new version of Total Protection?

There is no option for sound any more.   Too many complaints about it I guess.  We have suggested that they reintroduce the option.

kujaku01
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Is that so? I think the alert sound is very useful because when I scan computer, it takes a long time and I go to do the other thing. When it finished if there is sound, I will know. I hope that McAfee will take this option back.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

I agree, one should have the choice.   As I said, we've asked for its reintroduction.

BigJ
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Ex_Brit wrote:

I agree, one should have the choice.   As I said, we've asked for its reintroduction.

Hi Peter hope you guys keep bugging McAfee on your Monday conference calls about putting alert sound option back in 2010 version. Why are they being so stubborn about this? It was always good to hear when updates were installed with the alert sound. And also hope they get rid of STUPID smart timer. Why do I have to be idle for 10 minutes to get updates at scheduled times? If they get rid of STUPID smart timer and put back alert sound options I will be a happy camper. Btw this morning received an update which had to restart computer. It now has security center update as 4-27-2010. But build number is still 10.0.580 so what got updated??

Jerry

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

Oh, don't even get me started on that Smart Timer.  If it were a person I'd have strangled it by now.  They know about that problem too.

I'm not sure as we aren't told exactly what is in an update but I believe it had something to do with fixing slow network transfer rates.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/04/10 9:08:15 EDT AM
MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

Yes, please insist that the OPTION for sounds be added back to 2010 versions (heck, they don't even work in 2009 versions on a W7 (64) platform).

It is most helpful regarding updates, scan results, etc.  I seriously doubt that users who do not wish to employ the option "complain about it", when they can simply disable it/turn it off.  Perhaps for Enterprise (or even Consumer) products, the default can be "off", but at least give us a choice.  It can't possibly be a difficult bit of programming....

AND:

1) The option to "customize" **scheduled** scans, not just the manual ones according to file size, drives, perhaps even individual files.  Sure, the default can be a full scan, but please give users the option to skip large zip/pcv/video files, etc.  It hardly enhances one's computer security to be compelled to disable scheduled scans because they take too long or too many computer resources -- totally counter-productive.

2) Larger GUI (or the option to resize): thankfully, I don't have the 2010 versions yet, but by all accounts, the new GUI is awful and poorly legible (and yes, I know about Windows Magnifier -- should not have to resort to it just to read the McAfee GUI!).

3) More information with the update notifications.  It is circular reasoning and unhelpful to insist that users uninstall their other (much needed) security apps (such as MBAM, SuperAntiSpyware, WinPatrol, SpywareBlaster, Spybot S&D, etc) BEFORE updating to new McAfee software versions if we have NO IDEA when these software version updates are being delivered.  EVERY OTHER security suite (and all the other standalone apps I use) tells the user when it's "just" a DAT/definition update or a *software* update (that might require a reboot or -- as mentioned above -- uninstalling other programs in order for the upgrade to proceed properly). This is usually a pop-up from the system tray that says something like, "New software updates are available. Installation will require you to restart your computer. Do you want to install now? YES or NO (or NOW/LATER)."

Sure, the "default" update settings can always be "automatic" for the low-end user who doesn't want or need to be hands-on (just like Windows Updates, which ALSO remind the user BEFORE installation when a reboot will be required).   But the totally non-descript, "updates available" reminder from McAfee is worthless.

I have NO IDEA from day to day when I might receive the 2010 version updates. In fact, on any given day, my 2 systems running OEM McAfee usually get *different* popup messages about the daily update, even though they have the exact same McAfee products/versions installed.  1 might say "updates for Security Center" and the other "updates for VirusScan", or vice versa, even though that particular upate is only the day's DAT file and is the same on both machines.

Hence, even though I've taken the precaution of updating on my older Vista box each day first, in an attempt to get advance notice that I might be getting the 2010 version updates (so that I can plan ahead on my new W7 box) this is useless.

Again, this has nothing to do with NOT staying updated or protected.  I always stay updated. This is about installing/running the software without problems, conflicts, system instability, corrupt installations and wasted hours and aggravation with uninstalls/reinstalls (which increase, not decrease system vulnerability).

While it is reasonable to ask users to remove or at least disable other security products before major software updates, it is entirely nonsensical that we be expected to be clairvoyant about when those updates might be delivered.

Every other major security suite (and the minor, standalone apps) can tell their users when it's a DEFINITION update vs a SOFTWARE update (and most also warn when a reboot will be required). This allows us to install the software properly.

Why not McAfee?

Please, please take these issues to the devs and engineers and ask that this functionality be restored or added.

As always, thanks very much for your time, expertise, patience, and consideration,

MM

PS Oh, yes, and #4: Ditch the Stupid Timer!

Message was edited by: MoxieMomma on 4/27/10 8:30:08 AM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

All good points which we have listed with many others on a wish list.  Unfortunately we have no real influence on the decision making process.

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Hello, Ex_Brit:

>>>>Unfortunately we have no real influence on the decision making process.

Alas, neither do the customers, apparently.

Sigh,

MM

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

I hear you.  We have just been told that they are becoming much more sympathetic to our suggestions, so, who knows?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community