cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlinn123
Former Member
Message 1 of 25

How can I launch internet explorer without having to disable McAfee virus scan?

I have McAfee v9.15 and IE7 and windows XP.  I just renewed my subscription to McAfee, and ever since the install, internet explorer will not launch without a workaround.  If I disable McAfee virus scan, internet explorer launches fine.  Also, once internet explorer has successfully launched after disabling virus scan, I can enable the virus scan and can continue to use the launched browser without issues (although I cannot successfully launch a new browser without disabling virus scan again).

I did discuss this issue with the help desk.  They had me uninstall McAfee stating that there were issues since I did not uninstall McAfee prior to renewing my subscription(!).  After uninstalling McAfee the help desk told me to reinstall myself since my internet was running slow (which it had been since my renewal McAfee installation).  I reinstalled McAfee myself, and continue to experience the indentical problems I had prior to calling the help desk.

I have tried all the usual recommended things to troubleshoot - launching internet explorer with add-ons turned off, resetting internet explorer, cleaning out temporary files, and checking the configuration within McAfee to make sure that IE is set for full access.

Any ideas of other things to try?  I could upgrade my IE7 to IE8 to see if that helps, but I should mention that I did upgrade to IE8 after my intial McAfee renewal installation caused problems with the internet browser launching hoping that would solve my IE issues.  When it didn't (and I saw a lot of chatter about IE8 compatibility issues), I uninstalled IE8 and reverted back to IE7.  However I have not tried upgrading to IE8 again since I reinstalled McAfee.

24 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 25

Re: How can I launch internet explorer without having to disable McAfee virus scan?

dlinn123,

Do you get any error messages when IE fails to launch? Do other web browsers show the same issue?

dlinn123
Former Member
Message 3 of 25

Re: How can I launch internet explorer without having to disable McAfee virus scan?

No, I do not get any error messages - basically IE launches a window like normal but it is just blank and is clocking like it is trying to load.

dlinn123
Former Member
Message 4 of 25

I should have also added that I have not tried any other browsers yet.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 25

Can you go into tools, internet options, and set your home page to blank for now? I'd like to see if it's the page that's trying to load or the browser itself.

Would it be possible to try another browser such as Firefox? This will also help me understand if this is the browser application or a larger issue.

One last thing, which service pack are you up to with your XP? Have you run a Windows update recently? Thanks!

Message was edited by: Somer Pyron on 1/20/10 4:29:58 PM CST
newjack
Former Member
Message 6 of 25

I would try firefox & see how that works for you.I have both IE8 & firefox.I was haveing problems with IE8 logging in to the mcafee community for some reason.About 3 weeks ago all the sudden it would not log my password in.but with the same password was able to log in with firefox????Also IE has huge problems right now and until microsoft comes out with a fix i would stick with firefox in the meantime.There is an article about this on the community home page.Under announcement.Good luck.

dlinn123
Former Member
Message 7 of 25

Hello -

I set my IE to blank and it did load up the blank page when launched.  However, if I tried to search or do anything else, it froze up similar to when I try to launch the IE.  The other quirky thing is the IE session that I launch successfully when I disable the virus scan - that session remains fine - i.e. if I add another tab and search or go to any web page, I don't have problems.  It is only when I start a new IE session when virus scan is enabled.

I have XP service pack 3.  I have my windows updates set to automatic, so it is updated frequently.

I just installed Firefox and am having no issues launching that with McAfee fully enabled.

dlinn123
Former Member
Message 8 of 25

I should add that about a 1/2 hour after I installed Firefox), firefox would just close and then if I tried reopening it I would get an error message that it was already running and I must close it (and then under task manager nothing was showing as running).  So I have now uninstalled firefox.

user_102835
Former Member
Message 9 of 25

Awhile back I was having problems with IE locking up.  It turned out to be a problem with an add on.  Do you have an option in ALL Programs- systems tools to run IE with-out add ons?  The first time it was with Site Advisor  and later with an unrelated security program.  Once I disabled the add on IE worked normally.  If you can also disable add-ons one at a time from the tools menu, manage add ons.

dlinn123
Former Member
Message 10 of 25

Yes, I can and have launched IE without add-ons - it still won't launch.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community