cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Quinion
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

HomeNetSvc doesn't run

I thought this might help somebody: (I am running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1).

It would seem that there is a problem with McAfee Virtual Technician ( MVT ) 7.5.0.3093 when run against McAfee Internet Security containing McAfee Home Network 7.6.509.

I did just that and MVT found a problem with a Registry entry – which it corrected.

MVT then ran error-free.

However when I re-booted the PC and re-ran MVT it then found that service HomeNetSvc had not started.  It could not correct this.

The problem was that there had been nothing wrong with the Registry entry in the first place.  The result of MVT changing it was that HomeNetSvc was unable to start.

The fix is to remove the McAfee software and re-install it (or to correct the Registry).

BUT after doing that do not let MVT 7.5.0.3093 change the Registry entry.

You can check that HomeNetSvc is running by looking at the entry for it in the Task Manager under the Services tab.

The version of McAfee Home Network is in the problem report produced by MVT, or you can look at the Properties of C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\MHN\HomeNetSvc.dll

My thanks go to the Support guys at McAfee for sorting things out for me. 

I guess a permanent fix will be forthcoming before long.

23 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 24

Re: HomeNetSvc doesn't run

Thanks for posting your findings, but you mention "McAfee Home Network 7.6.509" and I'm wondering where you are seeing that component as it doesn't show up in my SecurityCenter.   What software are you using (name/version)?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 24

MVT gets updated at regular intervals so they've probably filed a bug report on that one BTW.

Quinion
Contributor
Message 4 of 24

I am running McAfee Internet Security with McAfee SecurityCenter at version 13.6 (Build 13.6.1012).

Home Network doesn't appear in Help/About.

It does appear in the problem report listing produced by MVT.

Or you can look at the Properties of C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\MHN\HomeNetSvc.dll

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 24

OK I now understand.  It's probably just a minor bug in MVT but if you have any problems I would contact Technical Support by phone, it's free and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Otherwise use their online chat, also free.

Quinion
Contributor
Message 6 of 24

What I should have typed of course was that it doesn’t appear in Navigation/About (rather than Help/About). 

Sorry – it has been a long day..!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 24

Me too, my computer keeps crashing.....!

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 24

Correct me if I am mistaken, I think the ( 7.6.509 ) was displayed in the (MVT) Diagnostic report for McAfee Home Network.

From what I can determine, you indeed have the Latest MSC- 13.6.1012  Version/Build. As for not being capable of seeing (Home Network Defense) when viewing (About) that is normal.

You should be capable of opening your McAfee UI,and ( PC Home Network and tools) should display. After clicking on this Tile, you should then see (Home Network Defense)-Installed.Click on that and it should display your Network Map, displaying your PC as Protected, and the status should be Protected/Connected.

Another way of making certain you can see this feature, is by simply clicking on Navigation/ Features.

Like Ex_Brit mentioned, that simply could have been a minor bug in MVT,

All the very Best,

Regards,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 7/24/14 8:49:29 PM EDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Quinion
Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Yes the version of McAfee Home Network is shown in both the MVT Problem report and the MVT Diagnostic Report, but not in Navigation/About.

axcel3
Former Member
Message 10 of 24

The issue is that MVT is misreading the McAfee install for HOME NETWORK DEFENSE on 64 Bit Installations. As this is the case what MVT is doing to those who run it and click FIX SELECTED PROBLEMS is this:

MVT is changing this Registry Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CURRENTCONTROLSET > SERVICES  > HOMENETSVC

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McSvcHost.exe"/McCoreSvc (Correct On 64 BIT Operating Systems)

To:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files (x86)\McAfee\Platform\McSvcHost.exe"/McCoreSvc (Incorrect On 64 BIT Operating Systems)

The result of this is 2 fold:

{1} McAfee can't find the module, Thus HOME NETWORK DEFENSE can't show the Network Map & Thus just says "Home Network Defense is starting up" or "Searching for newtwork" , while a tiny cirlce sits there spinning.

And

{2} You can't start the service in WINDOWS Services; becasue the changed registry key sned WINDOWS to a dead end. Which is why if you try to start the service in WINDOWS after MVT "fixes" HOME NETWORK DEFENSE; WINDOWS proclaims "Can Not Start Service, File Not Found"

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community