cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PalpableGlint
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Home Network Protection blacklisting a site

I don't know where to put this, but I'm encountering a strange issue in the last couple weeks. I can't tell how long it's been going on, but it had to have been fairly recently, but I can't tell where the issue is coming from. What I do know is that McAfee's Home Network protection with Verizon, in it's infinite wisdom, suddenly decided to blacklist a site, Itch.io, from downloading any of the material through the site! This block also affects their launcher as well, which uses the same gateway. I can browse the website normally. It is just blocking the downloads server, wherever it is. This has never happened before on Itch in the time I've had HNP on my network until now.

I'm told it was "categorized" under "games", but this sounds like talk for the AV software, not the network protection software that this problem appears in, since I do not use any McAfee software on my system.

The downloads open up a tab which McAfee does it's standard "malicious site" warning, and in spite of forcing it to accept it regardless, it is stuck in a loop. From what it appears, it is a certificate issue. I can't tell if it is on Itch's end (as of yet, I haven't referred to them), but I'm leaning towards McAfee's because it's just doing its thing. The odd thing that is throwing me off, the error which the Itch launcher shows at the end of the line oddly shows "certificate is valid for *.aloe.shp.mcafee.com, not cw3g3a5v6.ssl.hwcdn.net", yet again my browser will have certificate issues with the download link anyway. What gives?

For the record, I'm not personally a customer of Verizon or McAfee at this point, so I do not have access or accounts to any of the tools which I can tweak at my disposal to resolve this dilemma, other than talking to the folks at Itch, or here. In any case, it appears way beyond my scope because it is something happening within the network I have no control over.

EDIT: The only way I'm rectifying my situation for now is switching networks, which basically consists of using the hotspot from my mobile phone outside of my home connection, which much to my annoyance is bottlenecked but works.

3 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 4

Re: Home Network Protection blacklisting a site

Maybe you can ask for a site review. That might fix the issue if McAfee agrees the site is ok.

WebAdvisor website rating dispute resolution process

PalpableGlint
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

According to TrustedSource.org, it is indeed under the Games category (no doubt about that there), and across all categories, it is at minimal risk. No red flags.

I just checked the site now, and some time between the last 9 hours, the issue resolved itself. The launcher responds the same and it looks happy. Whatever it was, no issue currently. Odd.

Took a while and some bugging I guess, but now things are back to normal for now.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 4

Good glad all serene now

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community