cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 23

Re: Highly frustrated - bought McAfee Internet Security 3 days back..not able to install it yet BSOD..Atheros..prob still exists

Jump to solution

Well hopefully Manoj or Jai will be back soon.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 12 of 23

Re: Highly frustrated - bought McAfee Internet Security 3 days back..not able to install it yet BSOD..Atheros..prob still exists

Jump to solution

Hi vivekksaini,

If you are getting a BSOD after installing McAfee and upon the consequent reboot . Please restore the pc again to get it to normal condition .

Run the McAfee removal tool from here : http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe.

Run the McPreinstall tool from here : http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.exe

Reinstall the products

Before restarting the computer ;

1. Double-click the M icon in your taskbar.
  2. Click Navigation.
  3. Click General Settings and Alerts.
  4. Open the Access Protection drawer.
  5. Remove the check beside Use Access Protection.
  6. Click Apply.
  7. Click Start, Run, and type regedit.exe.
  8. Click OK.
  9. Navigate to the registry key below: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet02\services\mfeavfk\ImagePath 

1. Double-click to change the value of 'ImagePath' from system32\drivers\mfeavfk.sys to: C:\windows\system32\drivers\mfeavfk.sys 

1. Navigate to the registry key below:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet02\services\mfefirek\ 

1. Double-click to change the value of 'ImagePath' from system32\drivers\mfefirek.sys to: c:\windows\system32\drivers\mfefirek.sys
  2. Restart your computer.
  3. After your computer restarts you can replace the check beside Use Access Protection following steps 2-7 above.

I would be more interested to know the status of this issue . Kindly keep me posted if you have further issue along with the service request number that you received via chat support so as we could help you get this taken care ,.

Regards,

Message was edited by: Dinz to add links  on 12/9/11 10:04:58 AM GMT-06:00
vivekksaini
Former Member
Message 13 of 23

Jump to solution

Thanks Dinesh. I have tried this once minus the pre installation thing. I will try it again as you suggested.

Can you please confirm if I need to upgrade by Atheros (AR5B93 Network Adapter) driver and Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet drivers as a part of/ prerequisite to this process?

WAITING FOR YOUR REPLY BEFORE STARTING THIS THING

Atheros version (current): 2.0.0.74

Broadcom version: 12.2.2.2

Biggest problem is that upgrading Atheros to 8.0.0.238 makes McAfee installation smooth without BSOD on restart but Network Adapters stop working after it.

vivekksaini
Former Member
Message 14 of 23

Jump to solution

Hi Dinesh. I followed all the steps you suggested. But here's the glitch:

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\  there was no folder named CurrentControlSet02. Instead there were following folders ControlSet001, ControlSet002 and CurrentControlSet. mfefirek and mfeavfk folders were available in CurrentControlSet folder. I changed the image path to C:\windows\system32\drivers\mfeavfk.sys in CurrentControlSet folder only.

Restarting the system threw BSOD again. So I had to restore again. What shall I try next?

P.S As I asked in my previous post, shall I upgrade the drivers for newtwork adapters before doing the exercise you suggested?

Atheros version (current): 2.0.0.74

Broadcom version (current): 12.2.2.2

vivekksaini
Former Member
Message 15 of 23

Jump to solution

Hi Dinz

Any update on my problem?

Vivek

Dinz
Former Member
Message 16 of 23

Jump to solution

HI Vivek,

This is weird, can you please click on my avatar image and send me a private message with your convenient day and phone number so as we could reach you and isolate the issue .

Regards,

vivekksaini
Former Member
Message 17 of 23

Jump to solution

Hi Dinesh

Still waiting for a solution. If you can leave me a number and time for a any day after today I can contact you. I am available between early morning to 11 pm India time. Shouldnt  take much of your time.

Regards,

Vivek

Dinz
Former Member
Message 18 of 23

Jump to solution

Hi Vivek,

We happened to reach you at the number today at 10 AM EST (sometime back) and as you were unavailable , please expect a call from our team today evening at 7 PM EST 

Regards,

vivekksaini
Former Member
Message 19 of 23

Jump to solution

Thanks. I'm waiting for Prabhakr or some one else to call. Please do call when you guys find time or share some suitable number I can call you guys on.

I'm waiting in case anyone is calling now - Thanks again

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 23

Jump to solution

They are trying to call you so why not post the hours you'll be available and your location or click on their name and send them a private message.  No numbers publicly here please.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community