Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boohere31
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

HELP! MaCafee won't uninstall

Hi all.

I don't know how, but Mcafee Security Plus installed on my windows 7 computer recently. Maybe it was an automatic update I got from Adobe not 100% sure though. Anyways, I cannot uninstall it from Add/remove programs. I try to and nothing happens. I then tried to hit the "uninstall" button in the Mcafee folder again nothing happens. Third I downloaded the removal tool to remove ALL MacAfee products and still after a reboot it's on my computer. I am upset with this!  I want it off my computer as I already have an internet security program. So...how do I uninstall it??? any other way! please help!!!

12 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 13

Re: HELP! MaCafee won't uninstall

That is definitely strange indeed. Have you attempted to Uninstall the latest Adobe Flash Player/Restart and see if it is removed? Then of course go the Adobe Download Center and uncheck the optional offers, and reinstall.

For example: Adobe Flash Player Install for all versions

Please let us know if this resolved your issue,or if you need further assistance.

Thank you

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 13

The security scan plus should be listed in add remove programs/Programs and features. I just 1 hour ago removed it from my Son in Law's PC.

boohere31
Former Member
Message 4 of 13

I can't be for certain it is adobe. I found on another comment or site rather that someone was saying it was coming from Adobe. I did uninstall adobe to see if the issue would be fixed so I could uninstall the security plus. Once again....still there! 

As I said before peacekeeper---the program security plus is indeed in the add/remove section but every time i go to remove it nothing happens.  I try to click uninstall/remove a bunch of times and nothing happens. still there! 

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 13

That not normal as I said and CD can confirm it is an easy removal every time I have mentioned it here. maybe it got corrupted. Try removing it after booting to safe mode.

The program is a marketing tool it comes as an optional add on in adobe and java installs.

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 13

Also read

Remove "McAfee Security Scan Plus" (Uninstall Guide)  It says same as I did I do feel it is corrupted and maybe safe mode the way to go. That is if it is not infected so try malwarebytes as well as the suggested optional uninstaller.  These programs not supported by McAfee .

OK this should work

My guess is the McAfee Security Scan program didn't properly install and that's why you can't run the uninstaller from the Control Panel.

This may sound counter-productive, but I would try installing it again from here.

https://home.mcafee.com/downloads/free-virus-scan

Hopefully, that will overwrite any files that may have been corrupted or failed from the first install

Once reinstalled, try uninstalling it again.

boohere31
Former Member
Message 7 of 13

Peacemaker, thanks for all the info.  I tried booting in safe mode and when I click uninstall....still does nothing. I try clicking on uninstall again, nothing happens.  I am completely stuck on how to get rid of it. any other suggestions?

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 13

Besides calling me the wrong name (You are forgiven ) did you try the other suggestions namely the installing over the old version then uninstall?

boohere31
Former Member
Message 9 of 13

Sorry about that, the Peacekeeper oh great one.     Today I actually just contacted Macafee tech/customer support over the computer. The tech person tried for a half hour to uninstall the security plus. For some reason windows and the uninstall button were not responding to each other. He tried different methods to try to uninstall it to no avail.  I have a feeling it is corrupt. He then escalated this problem to someone with higher support for this problem. I have a phone call with them on Friday to see if the problem can be solved. Hopefully it can be....a littler frustrating though

If you see anyone else having this issue, please tell them to contact technical support or customer service.

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 13

ha I like oh great one.... Sorry to reask did you try to install again over the top? Can you post your SR job number please

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community