Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
solitude86
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

FakeAlertAVSoft removal..

Jump to solution

Have been going round and round wirh this annoying bugger..Virus software is updated and I removed the virus once (in safe mode) but it was located in my system restore files. It reloaded when i jumped out of safe mode...But I cant disable the system restore in safemode..apprently Mcfee cant detect this thing while it sits here and screws up my computer...Stinger found it a deleted in safe mode but not in regular os system mode...Takes Mcafee 8 hours to scan my system..Ridiculous..Any help would be appreciated here...thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ConorD62
Former Member
Message 9 of 11

Re: FakeAlertAVSoft removal..

Jump to solution

Hi Solitude86,

Glad you're problem got sorted out.

You might want to consider buying Malwarebytes (real time protection, blocks malicious ips), as it is only $25 for life.

Good Luck and stay safe!

Disclaimer: Malwarebytes is not an Anti Virus, and should be used with the corresponding one that you have.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
ConorD62
Former Member
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi Solitude86,

Have you tried downloading Malwarebytes (from www.malwarebytes.org) and running it in normal mode?

If it works mark this as the answer, thanks.

If not post back and I'll try to help.

Good Luck!

Edit: Do not preform a full scan, as a quick scan is most likely needed in this situation and takes less time.

Message was edited by: ConorD62 on 17/01/11 12:53:27 CST
solitude86
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

I had seen that online, but havent tried it yet..McAfee call this a "low threat"...Will be trying your recommnedations this evening if this last attempt doesnt work..Also will be looking at other antivirus software as well...

ConorD62
Former Member
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi,

I don't personally work for McAfee, I do it for, fun I suppose you could call it.

But I am only saying this,

Most Anti Viruses miss these types of infections such as "Fake Anti Viruses" because when they get into you're system, they manipulate the Anti Virus (McAfee in this case) And manipulate the scanner to miss it in every scan.

Which is why Malwarebytes should usually be used as a backup if you're system is infected.

No AV works 100%.

Good luck, post back the results!

solitude86
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

Like I said, Stinger found it and deleted it in "Safe Mode", but it was hiding ion the "restore files" and reloaded when i rebooted..they instruct you to turn this off before scanning. Cant do this in safe mode and the virus blocks you in regular mode...Just ramped up stinger to high setting and will see what happens, but i am downloading the Malwarebytes now..

ConorD62
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

Malwarebytes should clean this seeing as it is a fake AV.

If it doesn't, I would like you to give the file to them (only if it doesn't find it) so they can put it in their definitions, and then it will be found.

Good Luck!

solitude86
Former Member
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

We shall see..running Malwarbytes now...

solitude86
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

I used the Malwarebytes program and in 10 minutes it found and deleted the virus....something McAfee and Stinger couldnt do...Hey McAfee you might want to pay attention here....Thank you Malwarebytes!!!

ConorD62
Former Member
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi Solitude86,

Glad you're problem got sorted out.

You might want to consider buying Malwarebytes (real time protection, blocks malicious ips), as it is only $25 for life.

Good Luck and stay safe!

Disclaimer: Malwarebytes is not an Anti Virus, and should be used with the corresponding one that you have.

ArcheoTech
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

Just took this one off my sons computer. Used Avira them Malware together.

I agree with previous poster

McAfee pay attention! What are we paying you for if we have to use freeware to protect our systems?

Fellow posters:

Check your Internet setings!!!!

This last atack changed a bunch of them in security! We noticed them when his computer kept trying to log in to a proxy.

I was using an uninfected computer to reset them, but it got tedious so I went to default settings and then retweeked to my original preferences.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community