cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
delclemons
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

External drives not recognized in explorer after security center update

Running windows XP home edition SP3 and have 6 external Western Digital My Book drives which I use on a regular basis. McAfee Antivirus Plus installed for several years.  Yesterday McAfee updated to Security Center build 11.6.435 and firewall build 12.6.186.   Immediately after the update, when I would disconnect an external hard drive using the proper method, the drive's icon would continue to appear in Windows Explorer with a large Red X.  Additionally, when I would connect any external device whether it be a hard drive or thumb drive, the device would not appear in Windows explorer.   I could open windows management and access the devices from that location, but, not from Windows Explorer.   I checked device manager and the devices would appear without any indication of a problem there.

When rebooting, if the device was connected on bootup, it would appear normally.   If a device was disconnected after bootup, once again it would continue to show up in Windows Explorer with the large X, but no where else!!!

To verify what had occured, I restored my drive from a backup image three days earlier and tested.   No unusual activity with Windows Explorer.   Updated Mcafee Anti Virus Plus to the latest version and immediately, the problem with windows explorer not detecting external drives appeared.   I once again restored the drive from a backup image and retested.   Same result.   I have restored the drive 3 times with the same result which leads to the conclusion that the update to security center build 11.6.435 and/or firewall build 12.6.186 has corrupted something creating this condition?

Has anyone else experienced this issue?   I've searched the net for answers, but, nothing has been applicable to fix this issue so far.

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: External drives not recognized in explorer after security center update

I haven't experienced this but the only though I have is did you try a reboot to see if everything returnS to normal?

I can't see what McAfee would do to prevent external drives from being seen other than offering to scan them as they are plugged in.

Other than that all I can suggest is Technical Support linked Under Useful Links at the top of this page.   It's free by phone or online chat.

delclemons
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

For now, if I stop and restart Explorer.exe, it will release any drive disconnected yet still appearing in the explorer window with the red question mark.   Additionally, if I connect a new drive, it is recognized in device manager and under the manage window in administrative services, however, not in windows explorer window.  If I stop and restart explorer.exe, it will become recognized in the explorer window.

You commented that "I can't see what McAfee would do to prevent external drives from being seen other than offering to scan them as they are plugged in."    However, afterdoing some searching on the forum, I have observed various problems in the past with explorer.exe related to poorly written code in various forms of Mcafee products, so there certainly is the probability that this is such an issue.   Obviously, my particular configuration in some way must have a relationship if others do not experience this issue in the same manner.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

I agree that it certainly could be connected with the software but it's just I've never experienced it or dealt with a similar instance that I can recall.

Technical Support may be better assistance.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community