RAM size ?

Service pack ?

How old is the PC ?

jrbarrie1
Former Member
Message 12 of 17

Re: Excessive Winlogon Activity

Hi Dinesh,

Win XP Pro, SP3 Build 2600, 32 bit, 4 gb RAM, 2009 PC.

I left the current configuration on all night (i.e., McAfee Real Time Scanning off, AVG Anti-Virus on) while running four RAM-hungry programs. As I write, winlogon.exe in Task Manager is holding steady at 15.8 mb. The problem is solved when I do not use McAfee anti-virus. I am still using McAfee firewall.

Thank you,

jrbarrie1

jrbarrie1
Former Member
Message 13 of 17

Update - when downloading MS updates last night, I deactivated AVG and reactivated McAfee after the reboot. Within 8 hours, winlogon.exe is running at 804 mb as I write. Please fix.

JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 14 of 17

This seems interesting ,  Please check your mailbox as we have sent you an email from support to setup a call back and find out the cause for this issue.  We look forward for your reply to help you on this issue .

Regards,

scottyboy235
Former Member
Message 15 of 17

I have now taken the decision to completely remove McAfee from my XP laptop because the application will not function reliably with this operating system.

Even tweaking the system settings proves fruitless -> still left with extremely sluggish performance resulting in poor/flaky web access, unresponsive to keyboard or mouse commands....the list goes on and on. In fact all the hallmarks of a 'denial of service' type virus.

Disabling McAfee gives an incredible performance boost but leaves the system wide open to a genuine virus attack.

So what exactly are McAfee charging me for - the privellage of running flaky software on an operating system and NOT informing anyone about it or attempting to fix it. Offical support channels are not  much help, all they want to do is take the PC over and do a complete reinstall. Thanks but no thanks, the application appears to have a fundamental flaw so applying a sticking plaster solution is not the answer.

Kaspersky anti-virus 2012 is now on my laptop and it does everything McAfee is unable to do. A complete scan takes less than 8 hours - no faults found. It also happily co-exists with MalwareBytes program and laptop remains useable/web access unaffected - good stuff.

If anyone asks me about McAfee I will point them in the direction of threads like these - they tell you the real story of what is going on.

jrbarrie1
Former Member
Message 16 of 17

"This seems interesting" is not a useful solution. I've been waiting nearly  a week for an email, which was never sent. Problem is solved when not  using McAfee. scottyboy235 is correct by refusing to allow McAfee techs  remote in to his laptop. (Read my CNET review, "McAfee Tech Rep Phished  Unnecessarily" @ <  http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-security-and-firewall/mcafee-total-protection-2010/4864-3667_7-3376...  >.) I'm moving on as well.

jrbarrie1
Former Member
Message 17 of 17

Further to this, the 9/22/11 upgrade behaved as follows - I activated McAfee and deactivated AVG. Winlogon.exe in Task Manager ran at 4 mb to 5 mb until I ran Quick Scan, then it immediately expanded to 40 mb. But - and this was most disconcerting - my computer briefly blue-screened and crashed, not once but twice. I could not locate a crash log, so the only remedy was to deactivate McAfee and reactivate AVG, which entirely fixed the problem. This new issue renders McAfee unusable on my computer.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community