Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcmv50
Contributor II
Message 61 of 127

Re: Every time I start my computer the Mcafee "main" window opens

Jump to solution

I have been having the same problem (Win 10 - McAfee Internet Security).

It happened immediately after a McAfee update.

I tried a 'chat' with a tech who said it could not be disabled so I told him if it wasn't I was leaving.

I had a good look around the Registry and could find no clue so then I had an online tech go into the PC by Remote control and all he did was deselect 'Fast Startup'.  "That will stop it" he said. It didn't.

The sooner this is swatted the better.  As a previous poster said, if every piece of software insisted on welcoming you every time you booted up you would never get anything done.

To have this 'foisted' on us is plain bad manners in my book - a bit like junk mail and cold callers.

Peacekeeper
Message 62 of 127

Jump to solution

We mods pointed this out to McAfee when it first happened. They have a fix coming in 16.0.6 version slated to happen early December (Touch wood). This actually fairly fast action.

francois-listes
Former Member
Message 63 of 127

Jump to solution

Hi!

just to make sure we are really speaking about the same thing, my version of McAfee  is currently 9.5.168.0 update 4/12/2017 and we have to wait until version 16.0. It's really boring and begin to create real issues.

Have a good day anyway.

junk_cia_man_ju
Former Member
Message 64 of 127

Jump to solution

16.0.5 is the current version... What is wrong with your installation?!

johnross1983
Contributor
Message 65 of 127

Jump to solution

Are you sure that is the version of the McAfee software in My Account?

Open McAfee - Click 'Account' on the top then look in the 'About' box at the bottom

Then the Version will appear under the McAfee Heading.

matt100
Former Member
Message 66 of 127

Jump to solution

I hope that version 16.0.6 comes out soon and resolves the problem.

I have McAfee SecurityCenter version 16.0.5 (new blue interface). Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, Svc pack 1

My issues with the 16.0.5 release that I have are more extensive than anyone else has described here. They all started at the same time, so I am treating them as part of the same problem, hence my posting them to this thread:

1) The popup of McAfee isn't just annoying, it actually interferes with using the computer. When it first opens, I get a small square popup that just says McAfee. After a delay of several seconds, I get the full McAfee Security Center popup. Then the popup persistently comes back, not just at startup. Once it pops up, whatever I do to get rid of it doesn't keep it away for long, i.e. it comes back. I can close it with the x in the upper left, or minimize it, or simply click on my browser or whatever other program window I am working in to bring that to the front. Then McAfee jumps to the front again. Could stop for awhile, then comes back again at what appears to be random times.

I tried deselecting "fast startup" as has been suggested. This had no effect on the issue. I also didn't detect a change in boot/startup time.

2) At the same time that this problem emerged, Windows started to report to me that it didn't recognize that McAfee was handling firewall and virus protection. I get the messages (marked important):

-Turn on Windows Defender

-Find an antivirus program online

-Turn on Windows Firewall

On the other hand, if I go to the Windows Firewall console, it tells me that McAfee is handling firewall functions.

[For whatever it's worth, there's a version of McAfee Security Scan Plus on my computer, installed 12/9/15 v. 3.11.266.3. Could be it is hopelessly out of date. Anyway, when it runs, it comes back saying that McAfee anti-virus and anti-spyware is off.] I can't tell whether McAfee is working or not. Doesn't make me feel secure, so if release 16.0.6 doesn't solve this problem as well, I may have to start looking for other virus protection software.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 67 of 127

Jump to solution

You can remove McAfee Security Scan Plus from your Control Panel. It is a marketing tool only.

STEP 1 : Uninstall McAfee Security Scan Plus programs from your computer. To uninstall the McAfee Security Scan Plus program from Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7, click the Start button, then click on the Control Panel menu option.

Remove "McAfee Security Scan Plus" (Uninstall Guide)

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Peacekeeper
Message 68 of 127

Jump to solution

Those popups are they continual or happen irregulatly ie as per this thread

Is this Livesafe or another product?

Peacekeeper
Message 69 of 127

Jump to solution

Where are you getting that version number from?

matt100
Former Member
Message 70 of 127

Jump to solution

To catdaddy,

Good idea to uninstall McAfee Security Scan Plus. But it doesn't run on its own, so it hasn't been a problem.

The main reason that I brought it up was because McAfee Security Scan Plus couldn't verify that McAfee virus protection, firewall etc was working. This concerned me because Windows 7 couldn't either (it was telling me there was a problem every day for some weeks).

However, I received an auto update of McAfee about an hour after my first post, and now McAfee Security Scan Plus says that virus protection is working. Also, Windows isn't reporting this problem anymore. So maybe the update fixed at least this problem. I'll be monitoring to see if it comes back or not.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community