cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
margobell
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Email Breach

Hi. I recently updated to McAfee Multi-Device Partner and it has Identity Protection. The Identity Protection stated that my email address was on the dark web and it listed 5 websites that have my email. McAfee said that the solution is to change my password on each of these; however, I don't recognize any of these websites as websites that I ever visited and where I would have given my password, so I don't have a password to any of them. I contacted most of the websites that were listed as having my email; however, they checked and my email address is not being used on these websites.

Can someone determine what is going on? Is there anything that I can do about this?

Thank you.

4 Replies
Magesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 5

Re: Email Breach

Hi @margobell 

We are sorry for the inconvenience. Please go through the below articles that has more information on this email breach. 

How to fix identity breaches

FAQ's for McAfee Identity Protection service 

Regards

Magesh J

margobell
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

These links don't give me any information on why McAfee is saying that my email address is on the dark web and being used at numerous online newspapers that I've never heard of, yet none of these websites that I contacted can find an account under my email address. Could McAfee have made a mistake?

AvinashP
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 5

Hi @margobell,

We understand your concern, we would like to let you know that the websites where the breaches identified are mostly from dark web. We request you to help us with the website details from which you have received a response, to verify the rating of the particular site. IDPS lets you monitor your personal info on the dark web, this will help you monitor any misuse of your personal information on the dark web. McAfee only provides info about the identified breaches for you to act on it immediately.

Thanks,
Avinash.

margobell
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Thank you for your response. Since I don't have a password to any of these sites, there is nothing I can do. To unclutter the Identity Protection page so that I can see if anymore breaches come up in the future, I tapped the option that I changed my password even though I didn't. 

I am assuming that there is nothing more I can do. Apparently, one or more people have my email address, but there is nothing I can do about it.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community