cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gibbo
Former Member
Message 1 of 36

Dual boot XPProSP3 32 & Win7 Pro64

If I have a dual boot system [XPProSp3 32bit / Win7 pro 64bit] will this require 2 licences for Internet Security Suite despite both being on the same computer and obviously can only use one at a time?

35 Replies
Aldrin
Former Member
Message 2 of 36

Re: Dual boot XPProSP3 32 & Win7 Pro64

Even if you are using dual operating system it's installed in just one computer, so it's really not required for an additional one, just 1 license should be fine

Gibbo
Former Member
Message 3 of 36

should be fine?

That's a little vague.

Can I have definitive answer before I load my W7Pro64bit partition?

I currently have the 3 machine licence and have used 2 of those licences on my 2 XP machines. The 3rd I am saving for a laptop that I am close to purchasing.

I do not want to discover that once I've installed McAfee on my 64bit partition that I don't have a spare licence for the laptop.

Aldrin
Former Member
Message 4 of 36

Hello Gibbo,

No as I have mentioned above, the subscription will be identified only through Machine ID’s and not Operating System, so I’m sure there should not be any problem

Gibbo
Former Member
Message 5 of 36

So much for using a seperate licence.

I installed McAfee on my W7 x64 partition (same computer as the XP x86 partition) but it used a licence up.

My account now says I used all 3 licences when previously I had only used 2.

All I've done is put in a larger HDD - cloned the old boot drive (XP) to a partition on the new HDD and installed W7x64 on the other partition.

The original HDD was too small to hold both OS.

I downloaded McAfee and installed it on the x64 partition and BAM it used another licence when you told me it wouldn't.

So now how will I protect my yet to be purchased Laptop?

Message was edited by: Gibbo on 08/09/10 05:18:41 CDT
Aldrin
Former Member
Message 6 of 36

Could you please let us know the names of your computers [i.e: both the computers that you have installed McAfee currently]

Gibbo
Former Member
Message 7 of 36

The network names?

I'm not at home right now so I cannot confirm.

I think when i installed the x64 Win7 I possibly gave it a different name to the XP32 install though.

i think the XP install is called HOME the W7 install is called Studio - the other XP install on the other machinei think is called DOWNSTAIRS

I may be wrong about that.

I can tell you that the dual boot machine is :

Asus P5QL-E

Q9550

8Gb PC8500 RAM

with 5 HDD

RME HDSP9632sound

Palit 9800GT graphics.

the other machine is

Asus P5W DH Deluxe

E6600

2Gb RAM

with 2 HDD

Asus EAH5670 graphics

When you said the installs were tied to a machine I had assumed that would mean an ID of a network adaptor or some other part of the motherboard, not the name given to the machine on the network. Of course I'm going to give different OS installs different names otherwise how might I identify which is which from a machine elsewhere on the network?

Gibbo
Former Member
Message 8 of 36

So what now?

How do I get back to 2 licences used as I am only protecting 2 physical boxes.

i need my XP install to be called something different from my W7 install so that I can see which is running from elsewhere on the network if I have to.

The W7 install is a dedicated 100% to my recording studio, the XP32 install is for general use. The downstairs machine xp32 is my HTPC.

If you are going to tell me to reinstall my W7 partition and rename it to the same as my XP partition i am going to be extremely annoyed!! That is a ridiculous way to licence software!!

You should not be able to dictate to me how I setup my network and how I name my OS installs,.

Message was edited by: Gibbo on 08/09/10 10:12:33 CDT
Gibbo
Former Member
Message 9 of 36

Aldrin wrote:

Hello Gibbo,

No as I have mentioned above, the subscription will be identified only through Machine ID’s and not Operating System, so I’m sure there should not be any problem

Here you clearly state the licence is tied to the Machine and NOT to the OS install. So what would it matter what the name of the OS install is?

Gibbo
Former Member
Message 10 of 36

Well?

I'm waiting!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community