cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sandral
Former Member
Message 1 of 15

Does "McAfee Total Protection" prevent/delete malware?

I have "McAfee Total Protection".  Last night I clicked on a link in FB Messenger from a friend...I thought. I received no warning or indication the link was risky but as soon as I did though I decided I should run my McAfee. It said there were no problems indicated. This morning I see that friend says he was hacked and the link is malware. Would McAfee protect against malware as well as viruses?? If my scan says there is no problem can I rest easy? And as I posted a while ago, this morning I have a "McAfee" popup I've never seen previously that my software needs to be updated and is about to be installed. Is this from a malware or is legit (my subscription was renewed just a couple of days ago if it might be from that though don't recall messages like this previously). Do I need to take some kind of action please? Thank you.

14 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 15

Re: Does "McAfee Total Protection" prevent/delete malware?

It should be genuine but to be sure I would run some extra software such as MalwareBytes or Zemana, see the link below.  The AV protects against millions of different malware and viruses but there are always new variants coming out.

If you had WebAdvisor installed & activated in your browser it would probably provide an extra layer of protection.

sandral
Former Member
Message 3 of 15

Thank you!

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 15

Discussion successfully moved from Community Support to General Discussion

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
sandral
Former Member
Message 5 of 15

may I ask are these free? I also saw malwarebytes recommended (as a free service) on a friend's info and so I tried that. At the end it wants to charge and now I wonder. Thanks!

sandral
Former Member
Message 6 of 15

Does this page look legit? it's what I got

minsc
Former Member
Message 7 of 15

There are so many bogus virus/malware scanners out there, you need to be VERY careful.

That page could well be suspect. All the bogus ones tell you there are severe issues with your machine to try and scare you into paying for their 'services'. Even is it is legit, why pay when there are well respected free tools out there?

I'd stick with Malwarebytes and SuperAntiMalware. Both are free and well respected.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 15

sandral wrote:

may I ask are these free? I also saw malwarebytes recommended (as a free service) on a friend's info and so I tried that. At the end it wants to charge and now I wonder. Thanks!

Yes, read my document carefully.  You must have opted for the Free Trial, not the Free Edition .

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 15

sandral wrote:

Does this page look legit? it's what I got

No that's a scam and not sure how you ended up with that.   That's a typical "we'll scan your machine for free but charge you to fix it" scam.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 15

Be careful what you click on.  Advertising on pages is rampant and often misleading.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community