cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 1 of 13

Did anyone get an additional Engine Version today..1728.3?

I generally keep tabs on when my next incremental update/ polling is going to occur. Sure enough at 2:21 pm today my Engine version updated to

( 1728). However at 6:42 pm tonight I got another Engine Version Update (1728.3) ?  I immediately opened my "Services" in Task Manager, and noticed a dramatic change occured in my "PID" numbers.

Which normally indicates that an update has genuinely installed. Has there been a change in how the engine versions are being installed?

Especially after the second update was the same number, with the (.3) added to it in "About" in my Security Center.

(Ex_Brit)...I think you and I are on the same Server....

Any confirmation in regards to this would be most appreciated....

Regards,

CatDaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
12 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 13

Re: Did anyone get an additional Engine Version today..1728.3?

I might add that my "Build" has not changed.

16.8.708....For some reason,I could not edit my post....

Out of Extreme curiosity...I chatted with other McAfee friends/consumers and indeed there latest update is identical to mine..1728.3

Their geographical locations varied, Texas,US, Loudon,Ontario, Scarborough, Ontario, Dublin, Ireland.  So indeed there seems to be a change in

Engine Version "Numbers" and how they are listed in the Security Center.

As to what exactly changed, I guess that,s another case of "Keeping the internal workings" Close to the vest.

So....therefore personally I consider this Question "Assumed Answered" in my humble opinion.

GodSpeed,

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 12/3/13 8:07:37 PM CST
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
conductorwho
Former Member
Message 3 of 13

I got the 1728.3 update as well, likely around 4:42. For some reason it hung during update (campus's wifi was rather finicky) so it didn't formally "install" until 8 or so.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 13

Hi Conductorwho,

As you stated: For some reason it hung during update (campus,s Wifi was rather finicky) so it didn,t formally "install" until 8 or so.

First, thank you for confirming that you also  recieved the ( 1728.3) update. As I mentioned in my prior post that  my " McAfee Friends" also recieved the identical Engine Version with the added

(.3) to the current Version 1728.

While I still ponder the reason for the extended (.3) added to the Version ? I can only assume that it is an improvement implemented by McAfee to how we are recieving our daily Engine  Versions. I already am impressed by the implementation of how we are already "Updated/Upgraded to a different build-or New Version....without having to do a "Restart-or Forced Restart as Windows will expect after a certain period of time.

Having said all this...I notice first and foremost the changes made by the "Powers to be" to make my Security experience more plauseable, by the "Under-the-Hood"  processes...and trust that they know best. I can honestly say, that I do not experience issues presented to our "Moderators" as some of our Community members do.

Yet as Ex_Brit and other McAfee staff has stated repeatedly, taking into consideration of how each individual may have their settings, and to include certain Programs/Add ons can factor into the Equation. Not to mention that it is imperative that we as consumers have the sole responsibility to keep our system "Completly" updated with Windows, and our add-ons.

This is why I continue to keep McAfee as my personal choice for Protection.

One can learn so very much, by simply reading the Moderators suggestions,and McAfee Support offered when the Moderators ping for assistance. Sure there may be a minor glitch occasionally, yet I challenge anyone to say that any other Security Vendor does not experience some issues from time to time.

I will say for the record...That I would overwhelmingly choose for my 145 lb  " Rotty " to provide security for my OS, opposed to having to trust the "Over-Bloated", resource (Hog) that Norton-Symantec has to offer !

Trust me..."Bubba" (My Dog) is computer illiterate ! Yet his "Bite" is more prevelent than his "Bark"

Well, as usual I have rambled on way too much...Thank you for confirming that you also recieved the "1728.3" Engine Version as well. BTW...My update installed correctly on the initial try..However, I am on a "Wired" Connection-High Speed Broadband-50 mbs.

Regards,

CatDaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 13

Rather than creating another thread...I chose to respond to myself. The reason being is @ 1:39 pm I was updated to 1729.0 Engine Version. I am wondering if there will be a subsquent update similar to yesterdays

addtional update, and extend the 1729.0 to another listed Version?

After recieving todays Engine Version with the (.o) affixed...I am confident that there has indeed been a change in how we are recieving our daily Engine Versions. All is functioning perfectly, just curious if any Moderators have any "In-Depth" knowledge as to the changes?

Normally, I do not have the time allocated to observe all mentioned. For as I have stated numerous of times before...I leave all my daily updates to install "Automatically" And all has been "Good in the neighborhood" as I similarly express.

It,s just that with all the idle time I have since all of the Holiday Sales have commenced, I choose to preoccupy my time being on my Computer, opposed to thinking of how much my wife is taking upon herself to endulge in "Playing Santa Claus'...at my expense.

For example...Walmarts most profitable sales item during Thanksgiving here in the US, was "Towels"

It seems along with purchases of "Blue Ray DVR,S" Towels ranked right along with the Sales percentages for my wife! She bought (50) per say !  Geesh Louise !!!!....I know for certain...That we have more than enough...Go Figure.

At this rate...I am going to have to "Dig up" some (Socks) planted with-in my properties!!!

Regards,

CatDaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 13

I assume you two are on retail version not beta? The .3 engine updates include  test content for the engine . Final production versions are .0

conductorwho
Former Member
Message 7 of 13

I don't know about CatDaddy, but I'm on retail. Would be too risky to test beta products on my setup as I use it for schoolwork.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 13

Agreed My beta is stuck on 1724 so wish at these times I was on retail...Probably will need a reinstall.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 13

You both are correct, I am and have been on McAfee Retail for the last 8 years or more,and renew directly every (2) years.  Also thanks Peter for explaining the (.3) attatched to the Update on 12/3/2013/. (1728.3)

Like you said, todays Engine Version is (1730.0)

Regards,

CatDaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 13

Peter? It is Tony actually

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community