cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bellward
Former Member
Message 1 of 17

Could any element of McAfee be causing my browser to minimise..?

Hi all...

Lately our  browser screen will  randomly minimise for no apparent reason.

Initially, we thought it may only be happening when we had several tabs open (..and that it may have all just got " too much" for our ageing Dell Inspiron 1545) but it does also happen when viewing just one, fairly "basic", website.

Having had a bit of a search online for a possible solution, it's been suggested that this sort of behaviour can be due to stuff running in the background (possibly security etc?)..

Does this sound feasible? could any recent McAfee update be the reason?  If so, what could we do to cure it?.

As already said, it is an ageing Inspiron 1545 (using Windows 7, IE 11).

We have very little on the laptop(no movies, no gaming stuff etc), we run regular scans, disc clean-ups(inc' CCleaner) etc and run Dell online diagnostics check etc..

We had recently downloaded Malwarebytes , in order to sort another (supposedly separate?) issue but we tried uninstalling that (and the recently downloaded CCleaner)...and it still minimised..?!

Any  ideas?

Thanks

(apologies if this is in the incorrect section)

16 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 17

Re: Could any element of McAfee be causing my browser to minimise..?

It's a Windows thing I think, what system are you using?  Check your toolbars at the bottom.  Usually on Windows Vista and upwards, there is a spot that, if you go to it momentarily, everything minimises to give you your desktop.  Usually the far right bottom corner.

bellward
Former Member
Message 3 of 17

Hi..

Thanks for responding..

Yes we are  aware of the "feature" that you mention (on our Windows 7 there's a little blue "tile" in the btm right corner). but we don't think it's that though, as the screen will minimise when the cursor is nowhere near that area...unless of cause the "feature" is playing up?...

Once minimised, it cannot be expanded manually with the cursor(in fact sometimes the cursor "freezes" at the same time?) and it can stay minimised for up to 30secs before it maximises *all by itself...

*Sometimes, cursor permitting, the only way to carry on is to start up Task Manager and  close the webpage(s) down altogether....

Most odd...

Thanks again

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 17

I would add also to avoid Registry Cleaners at all costs .For eventually they cause more damage than good. While I have to admit, that CCleaner is one of the more trustworthy ones out there. Even then one has to be very careful using it, especially in regards to the 'Registry' component of the application.

Even when using our McAfee Quick Clean, I avoid using the 'Registry' feature. As it can remove vital processes needed in order for your system to function properly. Windows own built-in 'Disk Clean' should suffice.

Regards,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
bellward
Former Member
Message 5 of 17

OH!?...thanks for that heads up...

We haven't used the CCleaner that much, as we only downloaded it recently(..and I don't think we've used the "Registry" cleaner side of it yet...).

If you say that  the Windows Disc Cleanup function is sufficient, then that's good enough for us (..well uninstall CCleaner)  

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 17

Can you clarify what browser & version your are talking about and what operating system is this?

bellward
Former Member
Message 7 of 17

Hi again..

We're using  Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit ?) with  Internet Explorer 11

(running on a  Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop).

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 17

Well I'm still drawing a blank as to why this would happen, except the possibility another programme is causing it (Skype used to be known as a cause for instance).

You can either call Technical Support to see if they have any ideas or post here perhaps:  Windows 7 Help Forums

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 17

I am inclined to agree with Colleague Ex_Brit. I draw a blank as to what may be causing your issue? You stated that you installed 'Malwarebytes' (Free). Did you run a scan and see if anything was untoward?

I might add that I also run Windows 7 Sp1 Internet Explorer 11 also, and have not experienced such.

If nothing was detected, I would follow Peter's suggestions.

All the very Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
bellward
Former Member
Message 10 of 17

The Malwarebytes scan doesn't  bring  anything up...

Oh well...not to worry.

We thank you both for your time..

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community