cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmag
Former Member
Message 21 of 91

Re: Conflict with recent "Total Protection" update.

The only way I was able to get my computer working again was to do a Windows System Restore to a point before I let McAfee do the update.

But be advised. When I contacted McAfee tech support their first solution was to take over my machine and do a complete reinstall of Security System. After that, for some reason, I was unable to restore to any point prior to the reinstall.

Fortunately I do a periodic disk back-up and had just done one a few weeks ago so I was able to restore my disk without any loss of data.

Good luck. 

hud_engineer
Contributor
Message 22 of 91

Instead of trying McAfee Tech, I simply went for the Windows System Restore.  I wasn't able to select anything earlier than the 14th November (my WFP error logs started on the 9th November, you may recall), so I went for that, after doing a backup.  Once restored, McAfee was still at the new versions, but shutting down the PC resulted in McAfee apps not closing properly, and having to be forcibly terminated, each time that I tried it, until the Microsoft updates had all been reinstalled.  Since the Windows System Restore earlier today, I have not had any more WFP messages, whereas up until that point, they were quite common.

*** Update27-11-2012 : it hasn't solved the problem.  The WFP messages are back. ***

Andy

Message was edited by: hud_engineer on 27/11/12 11:13:45 CST
dmag
Former Member
Message 23 of 91

Did anybody ever get a satisfactory resolution to this?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 91

@hud_engineer - System Restore will simply start the cycle all over again.   Best to completely uninstall in the normal manner via Control Panel/Programs.  Then run the MCPR cleanup tool, listed under Useful Links at the top of this page and reboot.  If it says it hasn't removed everything, run it again.  Then reinstall from your online account, not from any CD media you may have.   By uninstalling in the normal manner first the account will be decremented by 1 machine properly thereby freeing up a license.

If that doesn't cure this, and it certainly should as the original problem has surely long been fixed by now, then contact Technical Support by phone or online chat, both are free of charge and also linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

rajeshk4u
Former Member
Message 25 of 91

No luck. I got a call from tech support. Still looking into it....

They say more people have had this issue. They have collected logs from other people who are effected.

The great annoyance for me. Is trying to keep these ATI drivers in place. As after re-boot they revert to 640x480 in 4 bit mode.

I am looing at disabling the ATI drivers during shutdown, to see if it preserves it at next reboot. At the moment it is a 3 step (reboot) process to get back to the correct ATI drivers.....

(As I used SSD, my system restore is off).

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 26 of 91

I find it rather bizarre that ATI drivers are being effected.  Are they being quarantined or what?

I'm afaraid I know very little about the ins and outs of SSD's so can't advise on that.

rajeshk4u
Former Member
Message 27 of 91

The SSD is a red herring. To get best performance out of SSD, some advise to turn off System Restore (except before a major install). So I don't have anythign to fall back on.

The people getting effected now and those last summer,  are all those with ATI Grpahics card with XP. Other drivers are being restored (Windows File Protection), however, they don't seem any system issues.

The solution in the EVent view is to run SFC to repair protected Windows Operating System Files. However, Microsoft don't make SFC utility for Win XP MCE. When I do run the utility it asks for the Win XP Pro disk. Microsoft have not updated the utlitiy. 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 28 of 91

Regarding sfc /scannow, if I recall XP always asks tor the installation media when that utility is run, at least it always did on my XP Pro SP3.

Is the workaround at the bottom of this MS article any help?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909059

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/12/12 8:32:18 EST PM
rajeshk4u
Former Member
Message 29 of 91

Let me get back to you.... as it is late night for me. However, I do recall seeing this article. I forgot what happened...

(I think it also threw me, my install disk is MCE 2002, however, the article mentions MCE 2005...)

rabbit2
Contributor
Message 30 of 91

Not just ATI, I'm Nvidia and also had the problem. Also I am XP Pro SP3, not a Media Edition build. The link Ex-Brit provided is Media Edition specific.

Support managed to replicate the problem on your machine (rajeshk4u, post 18) but as usual there has not been any formal feedback to this discussion. You might have expected an acknowledgement that the problem has been seen / identified / is being worked on / will be fixed in build etc but not a bit of it. And given that McAfee don't issue release notes how will we ever know if / when the problem is sorted unless by informal channels? Our experience of last year is that after many months the problem (then) just magically disappeared with a new release. No explanation was ever given.

For me this latest episode was the final straw after a catalogue of problems over recent times. Even though I had been loyal since early stand-alone Virus Scans, I finally lost it and moved to Avast and Comodo firewall. These are both free, happily co-exist and the reviews I looked at rated Avast better that McAfee anyway. My machine has had a lot of exposure to the web over the last month and I've just run Malewarebytes and Spybot to see if any nasties show up. Nothing, so cautiously optimistic.

Message was edited by: rabbit2 on 06/12/12 20:06:30 CST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community