cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 91

Re: Conflict with recent "Total Protection" update.

Try a different browser.  Something, somewhere in your system is causing the browser to act abnormally.   Could be non-standard settings, could be non-standard fonts etc.

Meanwhile try calling 1-866-622-3911 and ask to be put through to Technical Support.

texmex101
Former Member
Message 12 of 91

Latest News:

Firstly, there was another reply before this post  which has now strangely disappeared but that guy had the same problem and mentioned it also happen during the summer last year with a number of software updates (he was also was running XP).  He was going to junk McAfee and install Avast or another software...

Anyway, so far I have had help from the Tech lvl 1 support team, without success.  But they did escalate it to lvl 2 tech support, who call me today. And after remotely taking over my machine for a few hours and trying different options to restore the machine to a stable condition (without success) the remote access session/link was lost.  That was 4hrs ago and I'm still waiting for a call back to start another remote session.

Still waiting   

Tex.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 13 of 91

Hi,

Did you get any Case Number for McAfee, if you get any please update me the number. Thanks,

rabbit2
Contributor
Message 14 of 91

Hi texmex101,

The missing post was mine. Ex_Brit thought it was unrelated and moved it to its own discussion: "WFP errors". In that discussion, I've referred people who have the same symptoms as you and me back to this discussion.

Are you seeing any WFP errors in Event Viewer? They are normally shown as warnings (yellow exclamations) and usually occur at system shut down.

Regards

hud_engineer
Contributor
Message 15 of 91

Hi,

While I'm not having any obvious display problems, I am getting WFP errors since McAfee SC 11.6.435, and like others, this looks very like what some of us experienced for a number of months last year.  From the Event Log, I can see that Windows Installer seems to form the wrapper around the McAfee update that my PC performed on the 9th November.  During that install window, there was just one Error listed, where "The McAfee Scanner service terminated unexpectedly. ", Event ID 7034, and some hours later, I may have shut down my PC via the Login Screen while I was already logged in but without any applications running, and I'm left wondering whether this reveals an untidy update process that had some files still awaiting WFP completion, as the logged Warnings say  "The protected system file c:\windows\resources\themes\luna\luna.msstyles could not be verified as valid because Windows File Protection is terminating. Use the SFC utility to verify the integrity of the file at a later time." and "The protected system file c:\windows\system32\kbdus.dll could not be verified as valid because Windows File Protection is terminating. Use the SFC utility to verify the integrity of the file at a later time."

Today's messages are:

"Warning" Source "mfehidk" Event ID 514: "Process **\SVCHOST.EXE pid (688) contained unsigned or corrupted code and was blocked from performing a privileged operation with a McAfee driver." but note this message has been seen periodically over previous days.

"Info" Source WFP Event ID 64005: "The protected system file ehtray.exe was not restored to its original, valid version because the Windows File Protection restoration process was cancelled by user interaction, user name is Andrew.  The file version of the bad file is 5.1.2715.2765."

and:

"Warning" Source WFP Event ID 64008: "The protected system file c:\windows\system32\sxs.dll could not be verified as valid because Windows File Protection is terminating. Use the SFC utility to verify the integrity of the file at a later time."

Ex_Brit has suggested it is a Microsoft induced problem, but I'm not yet convinced.

dmag
Former Member
Message 16 of 91

Add me to the list of those experiencing the conflict between the latest Internet Security updates and my graphics hardware.

I'm running:  Windows XP Home Edition SP3

Pentium 4 3.05GHz

ATI Radeon X1650

CATALYST ver 10.2

Driver version 8.593.100-100210a-095952e-ATI

McAfee Security Center ver 11, build 11.0.678 (Before the update)

McAfee Virus Scan ver 15, build 15.0.302 (Before the update)

I have no doubt that it's the update that causing the conflict. For the last week I have been testing the update on various days by setting system restore points, and allowing the software to update.

As others have reported, upon the second reboot my machine reverts to the basic video. I try to reload the video drivers with no success. When I restore my machine to one of the previous restore points I get the video back.

I'm currently running without the update which means my real time scanning will not engage (I assume that the softeware is coded to not allow scanning if it has not been updated within the past week).

rajeshk4u
Former Member
Message 17 of 91

Me too. I am having similar issues. I had started another thread and then someone kindly pointed here.

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/50132?tstart=0

In my post, there is another link to  people who were similar issues in the summer of 2011. 27 Pages worth!!

My system: Asus mobo,  Win XP MCE SP3, ATI X1300 Graphics , Kingston SSD, dual monitor.

Total Protection Version 11.6   Building 11.6.435 Last update 17/11/2011

Message was edited by: rajeshk4u on 21/11/12 06:39:58 CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 91

In these instances it is best to start a session with Technical Support.  It's free by phone or online chat and linked through Useful Links at the top of this page (or the McAfee Support link, or right-click your taskbar McAfee icon and select Get Help).

rajeshk4u
Former Member
Message 19 of 91

As per Ex_Brit's suggestion. I contacted  McAfee tech staff. The Tier 3, escalate it to Tier 2.  I recently, had someone from 'research' contact me. They remotely access my machine for 2 hours. I let them get on with it. Whilst, I am not pleased about this problem, but I wonder how many other AV companies would have access to their support team... to fix the issue.

The Tier 2 guy,  managed to see the PC boot up into 4 bit mode (16 colours)..

rajeshk4u
Former Member
Message 20 of 91

As a seperate question, I am wondering what is the quickest way to get things working again?.

The solution is to re-install the graphics drivers, but it is a long winded road.

When it boots up in 640 x 480 (4 bit). I have to make a multiple steps to make it a working system:

1. I go into Device Manager, I uninstall both graphics drivers X1300/X1550

2. I reboot

3. It boots up in high resolution. However, I call this the 'intermediate'  drivers (just my name for them). They are ATI drivers, however, when I move windows / scroll windows it is really slow. The screen re-draw is slow...  The only way to fix this is to update the graphics drivers.  (if I don't update drivers, the PC is useable, but slow and if I reboot, it will boot back into 'intermediate drivers').

4. My next, step is to re-install the correct ATI graphics driver. I got to Device Manager and then do update driver.

(C:\ATI\Support\10-02_legacy_xp32-64_dd_ccc\Driver).

ATI unpacks into this directory...

5. Then do a reboot.

6. This is only good for one PC use, as after this it goes back into 16 colour mode at the next re-boot..

I don't know if other people have found better / quicker ways of updating their PCs....

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community