cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevewf1
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Computer at risk message

The last couple of days I have started getting an error message on my McAfee Internet Security saying that my computer is at risk and I need to renew my subscription to reactivate protection. However my subscription doesn't expire until July 2012, and even when I click on the activate button under subscription nothing happens. Any ideas why this is and how to fix it, as it appears I have no anti virus protection?

8 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 9

Re: Computer at risk message

You really need tech support to look into this they can remotely run a tool called subscription repair tool and that could sort out your account issues. Of course they will need to check your account first.

Tech support is here below and can be chat or a free call. Do not email as it can take a while to get a rep[ly.

http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

that said by any chance have you two PCs being protected that are the same name?

ashar
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

I've had the same issue on my computers. I did try the remote support and they ran the "tool" - but all it did was erase all my account information. It did allow me to install the software again, but I realised afterwards that it also corrupted (deleted) the account activation on my other computer - which thankfully seemed to activate again (but not after wasting time over the activiation process).

However, a few days ago I again started getting the "at risk" messsage. My account online shows both computers as active (and they have different computer names). When I try to click on the "activate" button on the software nothing happens - this seems to the real problem, not my online account status!

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 9

These activate issue are best handled by Tech support. Sorry we mods have only limited experience on account issues and they can view teh account details whereas we cannot.

Call them.

If you run the repair tool It might be necessary to riun it on all Pcs. At least in my son in law's case of like PC names this was necessary.

katherineyh
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

Same problem here, happens at least once a month.  I keep updating and eventually the "At Risk" messages stop- sometimes takes a day.  Also, I can't scan my computer for viruses when this happens.  Virtual Tech says I have no problems.  I see many others having this problem, but there are no solutions so far...

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 9

sol
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

I too have gotten this message from time to time and what I learned the last time was that there was an upgrade to my software going on at the time. I had no message telling me that my application was in the middle of an upgrade nor was there any sign of something happening but once i received a message saying my upgrade was finished the "at risk" message went away.

I am not talking a few minutes of time but up to a half hour or so in some cases. Otherwise prior to that, i just reinstalled the program and all was fine.

ajsmith49
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

This is starting up again on my computer ... the "! Your PC is at Risk" pops up every 15 or 20 minutes and goes on for days.    I tried the Virtual Technician which 'alleges' the problem is resolved and the the latest updates are installed ... and then the pop ups start again ..  This has become such an annoyance that I'm ready to uninstall McAfee and buy Norton.    This has been a problem for more than two years - based on what I've read on the internet ... If McAfee can't fix it in two years, this is definitely deal breaker for me.    

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 9

Strange I have never seen the issue bar 1 time when my beta 11.6 upgraded to 12.0 12 mths ago. Never seen it on my several 12.8/9 installs retail version either. What is it saying is at risk?

Have you tried a full uninstall reinsatll as per

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community