Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
magicbob
Contributor II
Message 1 of 10

Cannot run a scan.

Jump to solution

Running McAfee Total Security v 16.0 R7 - bld 16.7.126.

This morning on startup I checked for updates. Sometime after the updates I tried to start a virus and antispyware scan. The scan starts by checking for rootkits as usual, but hangs right in the beginning at 0% and 0 files scanned. This happens on both my desktop and my laptop. Two days ago I scanned both comuters with no problem. This is a solid problem. I have been trying all day. In fact, I am not sure if anything is working. I started a "clean" and a "vulnerability scan" and they worked. 

At this pont I am not sure I have any protection at all.

Thank you,

Bob

Tags (3)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 10

Re: Cannot run a scan.

Jump to solution

Does it stop for all time or pause checking fot rootscan then starts 10 minutes later . Is this on quick scan scheduled scan or full scan?

View solution in original post

wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

My SecurityCenter upgraded to the same build a few days ago and I had similar problems. I thought something had gone wrong at first but Quick Scan eventually got going about 15 minutes later. Quick scans now seem to take between 20-25 minutes after a 10 minute 'pause', whereas with the previous build they took between 10-15 minutes without the pause.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

Does it stop for all time or pause checking fot rootscan then starts 10 minutes later . Is this on quick scan scheduled scan or full scan?

wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

My SecurityCenter upgraded to the same build a few days ago and I had similar problems. I thought something had gone wrong at first but Quick Scan eventually got going about 15 minutes later. Quick scans now seem to take between 20-25 minutes after a 10 minute 'pause', whereas with the previous build they took between 10-15 minutes without the pause.

magicbob
Contributor II
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply. I didn't let it sit that long to see if it ever started. Use to it would start counting up immediately. I will let it sit next time for a half an hour. 

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

We upaid few reported such a delay when R7 first came out . I ran mine last monday (US time) and it sat at 1% for 2-3 minutes then wored normally taking 290 mins to scan the drives. Just now I reran it and it sat at 1% for 90secs then scanned fast to 100% in 4 minutes.

This because Mcafee remembers the file size and properties when scanned and only rescans them if changed I think.

magicbob
Contributor II
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

I let the scan sit and eventually it started. My full scan takes at least 2 hours to run on my 1TB internal drive, and a 2TB external drive.

I hope McAfee doesn't really believe that a 10 - 15 minute dalay at the start of a scan is a good thing, and already has plans to fix this immediately!

Thanks all for your input.

Bob

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

The full scan should go faster after the 1st scan due to the same reasons I gave for the quick scan. I do see a similiar pause at 15% will report it next meeting

magicbob
Contributor II
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Yes, external drives are scanned with full scan.

Bob

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

Yes it was network drives I was originally thinking of. i deleted that comment just after I posted it. I ran a full scan and it paused at 15% for 20 minutes still counting files . It actually counted all files (327000) on the drives whereas previously it only counted 47000. I have asked the program manager if there was a change and to note the pause issue

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

Cannot run a scan.

Jump to solution

I just ran a Quick Scan and Rootkit scan completed in 2 minutes and completed in 3mins 30 seconds.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community