cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
irvo1968
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Can't uninstall total protection prior to upgrade

Hi, I have purchased an updated version of Total Protection for my Vista PC. I followed the instructions about removing the previous edition but could not find it in the program list in control panel. I therefore used the McAfee software removal tool which completed successfully. However, when I try to install the new software from the disk it performs a check to see if any software is installed on my PC and still comes back with Total Protection being installed. I have tried the removal tool 3 times without success. Can someone help me out?

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: Can't uninstall total protection prior to upgrade

There are two types of Total Protection, the home user version and the Enterprise (business) version, called SaaS or Total Protection Service, are you sure it's the home version you had?

It's strange that this would happen as normally the installer would first remove any previous version automatically anyway which made me think that perhaps it was something else that you had originally.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/09/10 11:46:39 EDT AM
irvo1968
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Definitely Total Protection home edition and it is Total Protection that it says is still there when the software checks for any existing software and asks me to remove it. I have tried the removal software 3 times and restarted each time without success.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 5

If you are sure that you are using a newly downloaded copy of MCPR removal tool and not some old one you already had stored in your system, then I suggest that you contact Technical Support Chat linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

Hi irvo1968,

Could you please provide the following details ;

What is the operating system of the computer ?
Please provide me with a screen shot of the error that we receive.

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community