cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xracer
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Can't run DMSETUP.EXE

I’ve used McAfee with no problems since my computer was new. In the past few weeks a problem has developed where McAfee will not update either program files or the virus signatures. Today the program took itself offline because the virus update was too old. I ran the MVT and still couldn’t get the program to run, so I decidedto remove it and re-install. I have a current account that allowed me todownload the DMSETUP.exe. I also ran the MCPR program and the preinstall program.

When I ran the DMSETUP I got a message that says “McAfee Integrated Security Platform Installer has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.”.

One layer down the error message says that a file will be included in thr error report so I have copied the content of that text file below.

So I was hoping that someone on the board could help point me in a direction to fix this. I am running Windows XP, SP3.

Any help is greatly apprecited!!

Message was edited by: Dinz for clarity purpose on 2/27/11 11:58:08 PM GMT-06:00
6 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can't run DMSETUP.EXE

Hi xracer,

I have edited your post accordingly;  and taken over a copy of the error log for analysis. Please try the below steps and provide us an update with regards to the above said error;

Open Internet explorer – click on Tools – Then click Windows Update.

Check and install if you have any additional updates that needs to be installed to the machine.

Navigate through the below locations & check if you have any other security software/ their remnants – If found delete them accordingly.

Add/remove programs

C:\program files

C:\program files\common files

C:\Documents & settings

Run the MCPR removal tool from here & reboot the machine

Run the McPreinstall tool from here

Logon to your account here : http://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp and reinstall your programs.

We have done our best, and if in case you still encounter the same error ; do not panic , please get back with the below information;

What is the browser that your use : Internet Explorer / Mozilla Firefox

Please let know the versions of your browser also

How old is the computer ?

Regards,

xracer
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the info and the help.

I do have Zone Alarm on this computer as well, but the two programs have coexisted for several years with no issues. Zone Alarm is still working with no issues. I also have Advanced System Care on the computer but again there has never been an issue with any sort of conflictwith that and McAfee. There are no other security programs on the computer.

I have both IE and Firefox. I use Firefox (ver 3.6.13) almost exclusively. IE is an older version (IE 6.0.2900) that is never used.Windows is XP, SP3 and it has all the current updates. 

The computer is rather old (2003) with a 250gb HD in 2 partitions. I’m trying to run DMSETUP from the D drive, but I also tried to run it from the C drive with the exact same results.

I did use the MCPR tool and the McPreinstall tool, and I did reboot after running each tool. DMSETUP still will not run and the result is the same error message.

Again, thanks for your help and any suggestions you might have.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 4 of 7

Hi xracer,

What are you trying to install from McAfee? What version? What version of XP are you running?

Whether or not, you use Internet Explorer, you should download and install the latest version that runs in XP, because McAfee is based on Internet Explorer, within the McAfee Security Center Application.

xracer
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

What are you trying to install from McAfee? McAfee VirusScan Plus

What version? The version that is available on the McAfee downlaod page. It doesn't indicate a version #

What version of XP are you running? SP3

Whether or not, you use Internet Explorer, you should download and install the latest version that runs in XP, because McAfee is based on Internet Explorer, within the McAfee Security Center Application. I did take your advice and downloaded and installed the latest IE 8. The result is the same. The Installer will not run and I get an error message as indicated in my first post.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Please click on Useful links at the top of this page & click Technical support and get it touch with our chat technicians they would diagnose the issue and help you downloading the programs on to your PC.

Thanks,

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 7 of 7

xracer wrote:

What are you trying to install from McAfee? McAfee VirusScan Plus

What version? The version that is available on the McAfee downlaod page. It doesn't indicate a version #

What version of XP are you running? SP3

Whether or not, you use Internet Explorer, you should download and install the latest version that runs in XP, because McAfee is based on Internet Explorer, within the McAfee Security Center Application. I did take your advice and downloaded and installed the latest IE 8. The result is the same. The Installer will not run and I get an error message as indicated in my first post.

Hi xracer,

Service Pack 3 is not an operating system.

Right Click on My Computer. Click Properties.

What does it read under System?

Also delete DMSETUP.exe. Log into your Account at McAfee and download the Installer again. I believe that McAfee is in the process of changing the Installer from DMSETUP.EXE to McAfeeSetup.

This might be the reason why it is not working correctly for you.

By the way, Firefox became FireFox 3.6.14.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community