cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bev82153
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Can't get rid of pop up box that says "Try Secure Search . . . "

I am getting a red, white and black McAfee pop up box that is very annoying. I click "finish" to get rid of it and 15 seconds later it pops up again. The text of the box is as follows:

"Try secure search and click with more confidence. Secure search is a free enhancement to your site advisor software.

Risky sites are blocked. You search safer.

Address typos are corrected. You search safer

Secure Search - More protection, less worry

Activate Secure search on your browser. (Recommended)

Finish"

Next to "Activate Secure search on your browser. (Recommended) there is a box to check. I've tried checking it and I've tried leaving it unchecked. It does not matter. The box keeps popping back up.

Can anyone advise me on how to get rid of it?

Thanks in advance!!

Bev

8 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 9

Re: Can't get rid of pop up box that says "Try Secure Search . . . "

I had this popup after reinstalling Mcafee. I did not want it so said no or closed it cannot remember which.

So it does not go away? Does it go if you say yes? So then go to options in Siteadvisor and disable secure search.

I have never seen this but remember a post or 3 that had same issue will check up.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100596

"THE SOLUTION is go to Control Panel - Applications and Themes - Display - click Settings tab, click Advanced then change DPI to 96% and apply. System restartwill be required for setting to take affect. On restart open browser and wait for annoying pop up and the 2 check boxes and finish button will be there! Check or uncheck boxes - your option - hit finish - no more pop up  then you can change back to your previous settings re: your display." Ok this is where Finish no there I assume it is for you. If you are still having the issue post back and I will chase up further

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 22/02/12 8:33:39 PM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 24/02/12 12:46:26 PM
bev82153
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for your assistance. I had to contact McAfee tech support . . . . they took over my computer and seem to have resolved the issue.

Bev

klauzser
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

That is why it is always better to contact the Tech Support first so they could check your issue technically.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 9

Did you see what they did? Did they give you a job number.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 24/02/12 12:47:35 PM
bev82153
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

I did see what they did but I am not able to explain the process. It took a good 10 minutes for tech support to resolve the problem and so far the pop up hasn't appeared again. And yes, they did give me a job number.

Bev

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 9

Can you post it here or PM it to me please I am insterested in what they did.

bev82153
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Sorry Peacekeeper, but as I said it took them about 10 minutes to resolve and I could not possibly remember all the steps that were involved. They went into places in my machine that I have never been to before and would not be able to find again.

Bev

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 9

I know that but that job number would have a record of what was done that I could get the techs we talk to to read. If you cannot post it no problem I will ask them directly.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community