Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
worthless
Former Member
Message 1 of 35

Can't download using Win Explorer

I have an old XP machine (32bit) I had McAfee installed on it before I had to

format my hard drive. Now I can't download McAfee because they require Win explorer Ver 8

and Win Explorer 8 is not compatible with my old XP machine.

Why the hell can't I use the most recent version of Firefox to download the setup and key?

I keep getting an error message saying to "download Win explorer Ver. 8.

I CAN'T DOWNLOAD IT!

This is ridiculous! I paid for this crap and now it's useless!

Any ideas?

34 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 35

Re: Can't download using Win Explorer

Because the interface uses ie8 in its interface I gather. I take it the message is re IE8 not explorer 8.

I will ping the forum tech to elaborate.

can you comment please

worthless
Former Member
Message 3 of 35

Sorry to confuse,  IE8

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 35

Easy done best wait for the paid support. He might have a suggestion.

worthless
Former Member
Message 5 of 35

Paid support? Does McAfee even support their products?

I've used other sources over the years that had some support.

This will be the last time I use McAfee. They took my money 6

months ago, no problem, now when I need help, crickets.

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 35

We mods are volunteers. I have been helping here for 14 years so do know something.The reason I suggested waiting for paid support was that XP I have not used in 6 years so am not familiar with it and McAfee's reaction to it. I know you are limited to version 12.9/10 but other than that better that McAfee support actually talk to you. That is why I asked a high level support tech to visit when he is on duty.

Mcafee might have changed the system requirements though those could be the requirements for the current version. Unsure best you wait as there might be an older installer support has access to. You were using it so one would expect it could be installed still.

If no comment by Monday 4pm US time I can ask in our moderation cal. That has several very high level support techs present and I would get an answer for sure

worthless
Former Member
Message 7 of 35

Okay, I was able to install IE7 and it will allow me to download the program, however now I

have another problem. IE7 keeps losing connection so the download fails. I've tried using a

direct connection with my modem. NO WI_FI so I have a good internet connection with my

machine. Firefox never has this issue.

Keep in mind that I just reformatted my HD and have no data on the drive as of yet.

The download fails during the task of "checking PC for threats" but even if I try to browse the web with

IE7, it doesn't always connect to a website.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 35

McAfee KB - Microsoft Windows XP has reached end of support ..

This may shed some light on subject...

Also in regards to IE7/IE8  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14223/windows-xp-end-of-support

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
worthless
Former Member
Message 9 of 35

Hi, Did you read my response stating I was able to download IE7? That is the minimum requirement.

I thought it was IE8.

Anyway, My issue still stands. IE7 seems to only load specific webpages. THe Mcafee webpage is one

that doesn't open in IE7.

I use Firefox to go to the Mcafee website and download the key so I can install the software.

The problem is that when it runs the installer, it runs the IE7 browser which doesn't work on the Mcafee

site. I've tried everything to get IE7 to work correctly. If I could use Firefox to run the installer, it would work.

I need help to install the software. I paid for it 5 months ago and now it won't load.

I hate the fact I got no disc with it so I have to rely on the download. Help would be appreciated!

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 35

I will have to ask in our call Monday PM if no response before then by the support tech. I do not know his hours sorry.

I will try another tech.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community