Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mitchy
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Can McAfee and AVG be used together?

Hi there

I have been browsing the web to find out some answers, but hasn't exactly got the answer I've been looking for.

I have been having some problems with my Internet lately.  I have had McAfee Internet Security 2009 installed on my laptop for a year now.  It has expired and i bought a new one over the Internet.  I started installing it and then it downloads approximately 62MB.  When that happened I stopped the installation.

The reason for this is that my bandwidth has ben disappearing.  My wireless is always connected to my computer, day in and out.  So I started realizing it's disappearing, as I have always been able to get through with 1GB a month.  Last month (November) i had to buy extra bandwidth cause my usual 1GB was not enough.  So I started playing around with McAfee to see if I can up my security on the Internet and on my computer.  I still have not installed the Internet Security 2010 yet. Also another thing.  I had Google Chrome installed as a web browser.

Then eventually I thought things will go better now.  O my goodness.  Try to go onto the internet, ERRORS ERRORS and more ERRORS!!!!  So I changed a few things around.  Eventually I got access to the internet and all worked there.  Then it came to emails.  Incoming was fine, nothing worked with outgoing.  Phoned my service provider, went through a few steps, still gave me errors.  They said all was fine on their side, it must be my security.  Then I thought it was time to download the new McAfee as it is December now.  It downloaded the 62MB and then installed a bit and downloaded another 30MB.  Then eventually fully installed.  At this time my outgoing mail was still not fixed.

After installing and restarting etc.  McAfee was up and running perfectly.  Then i checked my mail, and wualla, all was working fine, no problems.

Now i am too scared to change any settings.  But not sure if my Internet is safe now.  I am now unplugging my wireless connection every time I am not using the Internet.

In the mean time i have also unstalled Google Chrome and Installed Firefox.  Previously I have used Firefox and never had any problems.

What I need to know is how safe is McAfee really?  I have read up that a lot of people speaks very highly of AVG.  I have been contemplating downloading the FREE version of AVG and see if it works.  Is is also quite a large file to download and don't want to waste my Internet cap on something that is not going to work.

Will AVG (just for extra security) work with McAfee?  Will my computer crash?  Will it affect the speed of my computer?

I need some advise and help please.

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can McAfee and AVG be used together?

Any application that includes anti-virus will cause issues with any other application that has that component.

Rule of thumb: use only 1 each of firewall*, anti-virus but you can use extra anti-spyware applications,

A few are listed here: http://community.mcafee.com/message/6617#6617

No protection software in the world is 100% guaranteed to protect you - that is impossible.  It's up to you to be extra careful what you click on, download or open and make sure that your operating system  and associated software/hardware is always completely up to date.

*Exception is when there is also a hardware-based firewall as those found in routers.  Having that enabled in addition to the software firewall is OK.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/3/09 8:02 AM
Mitchy
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

So your advise is that I should not download AVG as well?

Can I install more that one of those programs, or just stick with one?

Obviously because you recommend then I suppose they are trust worthy?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

AVG used to be OK until they added anti-virus but now it will clash.   Any of those I linked are OK.  I personally have SpywareBlaster and SuperAntiSpyware free installed in my Vista rig and did use them in XP too when I had it.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 8

By the way I just realised you stated that your bandwidth is limited to 1gb/month....these days that's a but unrealistic.  My email alone would wipe that out in a day or so.   I have 95gb/month allowed by my ISP on my current plan.

Mitchy
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

He he ok.....  That is quite a bit of cap that you have a month!!!

I will then (also running vista) download 2 and see what happens.

Thank you very much.

Will get back to you if there is any other poblems.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 8

Good luck.

Jiya
Contributor II
Message 8 of 8

Using multiple antivirus software at a time is never a good idea.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community