cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vip
Contributor
Message 31 of 255

Re: CPU usage issue related to Analytics SDK

I also have the same issue, unable to browse Web and PC locking up.

Closed everything,

Closed everything and checked Task Manager, the AnalyticsSDK process was using the highest amount of CPU but at approx. 40%

Found the service ClientAnalyticService which was stuck in a stopping state (which is as roseg_89 found).  Waited 10 mins and refreshed the view, closed then reopened services = Service still has a state of stopping.

Rebooted and everything was OK for approx. 5 mins then had the same problem again with the process using most CPU and the service stuck in the stopping state.

Rebooted and immediately disabled and stopped the service (this was at 11:00 today) not had any further problems for the last 4 and a half hours.

Checked the event logs and found the following error

Faulting application name: McClientAnalytics.exe, version: 2.1.167.0, time stamp: 0x588a7549

Faulting module name: McClientAnalytics.exe, version: 2.1.167.0, time stamp: 0x588a7549

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000029c00

Faulting process id: 0xc04

Faulting application start time: 0x01d282c3937929ce

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\ClientAnalytics\Legacy\McClientAnalytics.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\ClientAnalytics\Legacy\McClientAnalytics.exe

Report Id: 220997b5-9e0d-484b-94d0-3815fd7d9a5b

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Went back through the log and found first instance of the this error was on 03/02/17 (I may not have used the computer daily last week, therefore the date something changed causing the issue may have occurred before then).

In some cases the above error is followed by

Faulting application name: McClientAnalytics.exe, version: 2.1.167.0, time stamp: 0x588a7549

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.479, time stamp: 0x5825887f

Exception code: 0xc0000374

Fault offset: 0x00000000000f8283

Faulting process id: 0x2148

Faulting application start time: 0x01d282026f2c7a77

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\ClientAnalytics\Legacy\McClientAnalytics.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: cb801f19-3d59-4093-b3a7-97ea6d551c50

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

I have version 2.1.167.0 of both McClientAnalytics.exe and McClientAnalytics.dll

Win 10 Pro

I too would be interested to know what the service / process / exe / dll are doing.  I've read on this thread it doesn't affect the virus scanning, does it affect any of the other protection provided by McAfee Total Protection?

I hope the above assists and look forward to a resolution.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 32 of 255

If you are concerned about your security/protection. I suggest that you attempt to access (Allinfree.net), and your McAfee Web Advisor's layered protection should throw up a 'Warning'. In addition go to Eicar.org

EICAR test file

And your McAfee Virus Scan should (Block it).

I hope these suggestions eases your concerns and is helpful.

All the Best

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
user_183665
Contributor
Message 33 of 255

FYI, as far as I can figure, Analytics SDK is related to McAfee Personal Firewall 16.0.3026, and not at all to the virus protection components. I say this because a) the issues began when firewall 16.0.3026 was installed (had previously been 16.0.2027 and worked fine); and b) either disabling Client Analytics Service OR turning off the firewall prevents the problems (internet access being blocked from browser, ping, etc.; and McAfee GUI locking up). That service is apparently started by the firewall (for purposes still not revealed), and it's failure (as evidenced by its memory leak or its cpu usage, exceptions c0000374 or c0000005, and its inability to stop) hangs the firewall. Clearly this process is flawed in some way, particularly when run in the context of Windows 10 Pro 1607 build 14393.693 (resulting from Windows Update on 1/16/2017 and 1/25/2017). But I just wanted to point out that it is much more likely a part of the firewall component, not the virus protection component.

My Client Analytics Service is disabled, and everything is running like a charm, so it will stay that way until a more recent version arrives. Actually, I've been waiting for a newer firewall version since mid January because 16.0.3026 is what brought this bug in the first place.

bonzo47
Former Member
Message 34 of 255

-  Seems odd to me that McAfee are very slow in even admitting that there is a problem (apologies if I've missed it somewhere), never mind actually fixing it! Sorry to keep repeating myself, but if disabling the file concerned has no effect on anti-virus protection, why is it there in the first place? The volunteer moderators don't know (BTW I don't criticise them for that, as they cannot possibly be party to each and every nuance of McAfee software). Of course there may be some very good technical reason for it being there, like the apparently useless sections within our DNA! Maybe of McAfee can answer this?

sortitout
Contributor
Message 35 of 255

I'm having the same issues and I'm having to do this on an android phone so it's not easy. Analytics SDK is using over 4gb of memory on my laptop. I cannot go online or run McAfee. I have no computer skills so I don't know how to 'Powercycle' or disable these processes.  I've paid a lot of money for the service and now I can't use my laptop. I have no idea how to resolve the issue. I can't even see how to start a new thread. If I could go online I'd download another antivirus package from someone else and end my McAfee subscription. Can anyone tell me what to do?

sortitout
Contributor
Message 36 of 255

How do you disable the client analytics service? Can a computer illiterate person such as myself do this or do I need to get a professional to assist?

I'm looking at Services in Task Manager. McAfee Application Installer Cleanup (0178641486666245) is showing as 'Stopped'. Client Analytics Service is showing as 'Stopping' but if I click start it tells me that 'an instance of the service is already running'. That's the limit of what I can find without getting further out of my depth.

Update: I've followed the suggestions of other users on this thread. I've stopped Client Analytics Service about a dozen times but after about a minute it starts up again on its own. Can I stop that from happening somehow?

user_183665
Contributor
Message 37 of 255

Re-boot your computer and immediately go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Find the line that says "ClientAnalyticsService", right click on that line, select Properties, and change the Startup type to Disabled, then click Apply. If the service status is not showing "Stopped", click the Stop button to stop it. Click OK. That should do it.

user_183665
Contributor
Message 38 of 255

You need to both "Disable" it and "Stop" it.

sortitout
Contributor
Message 39 of 255

I've got the control panel on the screen. Where are the administrative tools? I'm running Windows 8 is that helps?

user_183665
Contributor
Message 40 of 255

Shortcut to "Services". Click on the start button or the Cortana button and type "services" into the search text box. You should see Services (with 2 gears as an icon) as a suggestion. Click on it.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community