cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roseg_89
Contributor
Message 1 of 255

CPU usage issue related to Analytics SDK

I have been following the thread "AnalyticsSDK process and possible memory leak" since last saturday".

Peacekeeper wrote: If you have the version/build of the program as posted by DougK_t3 ie You have build number 2.1.167.0 (of McClientAnalytics.dll and McClientAnalytics.exe files) and still having lock up by CPU this is a new issue and you ned to start a new thread and call support as it needs a new ticket. Don't shot the messenger only passing this on.

Has anyone contacted support about this issue? I started having the problem after the last update of McAfee Internet Security to version 14.0 R12 last saturday. I noticed everything is fine when the process is running. Then, when the service tries to stop, CPU usage goes well over 90% and hangs there. Cannot stop the process manually. Had to reboot my laptop. I disabled the service and everything is fine now.

254 Replies
imagika
Former Member
Message 2 of 255

Re: CPU usage issue related to Analytics SDK

Ok i thought it was fixed browsing and it was ... There is a new problem now .  Every once in awhile the client analytic will climb in cpu usage and sometimes lock up computer .  It dosent seem like a memory leak anymore but it will climb sometimes and lock up cpu when opening chrome.  Also i have been getting these ---

The activation of the CLSID {E782BE15-9936-4A7F-8DF9-9AB95D229DF1} timed out waiting for the service ClientAnalyticsService to stop.

That will pop up every 2 hours or so along with the problem of the cpu usuage somtimes climbing.  I woke up this morning with over 150 errors of the line above so i dont know what's going on.  Am going to disable it till i hear some news or something.

Forgot to add that i've also been getting these -

Faulting application name: McClientAnalytics.exe, version: 2.1.167.0, time stamp: 0x588a7549

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.479, time stamp: 0x5825887f

Exception code: 0xc0000374

Fault offset: 0x00000000000f8283

Faulting process id: 0x27fc

Faulting application start time: 0x01d28108973e47fc

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\ClientAnalytics\Legacy\McClientAnalytics.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 92253036-8801-4408-9798-b158a2c9191b

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

I was told to move this to a new thread i hope this is the right place?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 255

You were correct in doing so..Thanks

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 255

Hello Jason,

We would like to gather logs from your PC in order to investigate this further. We will continue our discussion privately if you're volunteering to share logs.

Regards

bonzo47
Former Member
Message 5 of 255

I am transferring my comments from the previous thread to this one, as requested by Peacekeeper, as I have a CPU usage issue. The problem started on 4th Feb. I have McAfee Internet Security which is automatically renewed by subscription every year (and has been for many years). I have never had a problem like this before i.e. with AnalyticsSDK and the CPU running at over 90% effectively "paralysing" my PC.

I contacted McAfee via the chat service on the 6th Feb and was told that it is a Windows issue. Before contacting McAfee I took a tip from a user forum (not this one [sorry!] - not sure now which one it was) which suggested finding ClientAnalyticalServices and disabling AnalyticsSDK which I did, and the CPU usage problem went away. However not being sure if this is a good idea long-term, I asked the McAfee technician these questions, to which I got no answer, other than, as I said, "it's a Windows problem":

1. By disabling ClientAnalyticalServices, am I also disabling other programs/functions that might be useful?
  2. Why did Analytics SDK suddenly start up on Saturday and never before?
  3. What is the purpose of Analytics SDK?

I have looked through the previous thread but as far as I can see no-one has answered these type of questions.

Peacekeeper has asked me to check what version I have. These are the details I was able to find on my PC:

File Description: AnalyticsSDK

File version: 2.1.167.0

Product version: 2.1.0.0

Size: 1.64MB

Date modified: 26 January 2017

My version of McAfee Internet Security is 14.0.3061, installed 2nd Feb 2017, size 264MB. This must have been an automatic update which occurred 2 days before the CPU usage issue became seriously apparent.

I am not a computer expert and a lot of the techno-speak on the previous thread I don't understand. If anyone could just answer the 3 questions above I'd feel a lot happier! Also can someone with more "clout" than me chase McAfee to get this sorted (if indeed it is a McAfee problem).

Thanks.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 255

​,

If you look at Post #3 you will see that ​ is already involved in the thread. As he is a Tier 2.5 Technician/Engineer from Support and employed by Intel/McAfee.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
spoll_2000
Former Member
Message 7 of 255

I also have been reading through the other thread. My problem with ClientAnalyticsService did not start until yesterday 2/6. Ever since then my laptop has been rendered unusable. I believe my issue now is also with the service using a huge amount of CPU. No matter how many times I reboot, that service starts up and generally hovers around 61% CPU. All other apps just hang when I try to open them (Mcafee won't even open).

I have tried all the suggestions in the other thread to disable the service. I've tried ending the AnalyticsSDK task (doesn't end), I've tried disabling the ClientAnalyticsService service at least 15 times. It shows as "Disabled", but the status remains as "Stopping", even when I reboot normally, hold down the power button, etc. I cannot get the service to end, so I don't even have that workaround. So I am completely dead in the water. I would consider re-installing Mcafee, but obviously none of my browsers are functional for the download!

bonzo47
Former Member
Message 8 of 255

- ah, ok, I didn't know he is with McAfee. Hopefully he will be able to initiate something then.

Thanks.

B.

rc1946
Contributor
Message 9 of 255

On my two Win10 systems, one a Dell Desktop and the other is a HP laptop.

These systems have no 3rd party browsers, Just Internet Explore & Edge.

The memory issue migrated to be the high CPU consumption and eventually nothing works.

They are totally useless, unless ClientAnalyticsService (McClientAnalytics) is disabled.

You have to do a Restart and as soon as it will let you access the Services disable it. If you are to slow in getting it disabled it will not disable. After being disabled if you change it back to manual, the first time any program or service access the network it starts running and in a short time ClientAnalyticsService hogs 70% to 90% of the CPU consumption and nothing seems to work.

Antivirus Plus

V. 14.0 Rel. 14.0 R12

Security Center

V. 15.3 Build 15.3.3061 (1/31)

Anti-Virus  Anti-Spyware

V. 19 Build 19.0.3060, Engine V. 2883.0 (2/7)

Personnel Firewall

V. 16 Build 16.0.3026 (1/31)

Web Advisor

V 4.0 Build 4.0.4.209

Vulnerability Scanner

V. 5.0 Build 5.0. 3053 (1/31)

McClientAnalytics.dll and McClientAnalytics.exe files Build 2.1.167.0 and Product Version 2.1.0.0

updated 1/26/2017.

Have other XP and Win7 systems running with McAfee Anti-Virus Plus no issues, they don’t have ClientAnalyticsService. 

bonzo47
Former Member
Message 10 of 255

- we have the same problem then!

I don't understand what you mean by your last sentence - are you saying that PCs which have Windows XP or Windows 7 don't have this problem because they don't have ClientAnalyticalServices, or, are you asking the question do PCs with Windows XP or Windows 7 have ClientAnalyticalServices at all and hence no problems?

Sorry that's a bit long winded but I hope you know what I mean. Are you keeping ClientAnalyticalServices disabled on your PCs? I am, until I hear something definitive from McAfee. It would be reassuring if someone could tell me that I am not exposing my PC to viruses etc meanwhile.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community