cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roseg_89
Contributor
Message 101 of 255

Re: CPU usage issue related to Analytics SDK

At a certain point it should try to stop, and hang up in this state consuming a lot of CPU. I would strongly suggest disabling the service until McAfee release a new version with the fix. See post 36 for instructions on how to disable the service. You should reboot your PC after disabling the service.

lcampton
Former Member
Message 102 of 255

Selvan - How can we get a fix for this problem or get an alert when one is available?  I have disabled the service for now. 

Thank you,

Lois Campton

tonylubrano
Former Member
Message 103 of 255

Finally got it to stop... took more than 3 reboots... not sure how many.  Powered it down for the nth time, went to lunch.  Came back, powered up and it didn't start up.  It now shows as DISABLED.

I'm having a problem understanding the purpose of this service if it is invoked by McAfee and has nothing to do with security.  How can it be disabled without affecting my system security?  Why was it invoked in the first place?

Thanx,

Tony Lubrano

Peacekeeper
Message 104 of 255

Lois I have been telling all I am talking about this in our Mod call now in 30 minutes I will update both analytics threads when I can. maybe not immediately as I need to attend an appointment

tonylubrano
Former Member
Message 105 of 255

AnalyticsSDK is a Windows service.  However, McAfee must register with the service to create its own ClientAnalyticService task.  This task clearly indicates it is executing an McAfee executable (MCClientSerivce.exe). I am writing this from memory (I don't want to restart this service to verify) and I may not have all the correct names specified but, you should get the gist of of what I am saying.

A McAfee executable is preventing the AnalyticsSDK service from successfully stopping.

McAfee should be all over this like a wet suit.  Between storage creep and CPU consumption, they should realize that PCs are becoming unusable because of their product.  In today's environment, PCs are not just used for games.  When it becomes unusable, business is impacted.  When business is impacted, business people start making business decisions that may be unkind to McAfee.

My bigger concern is that I've had to disable a Windows service in order to circumvent a McAfee problem.  What other software products, on my PC, are disabled by this action?

Tony Lubrano

mentha
Former Member
Message 106 of 255

Hi Selvan

I have downloaded the McLogCollect and tried running it twice. Each time I resbooted the machine with the ClientAnalyticsService running. Tried multiple times to reproduce the issue using Windows, Firefox and Chrome, without any luck. That was Friday10th. I left the service running and everything appeared to be OK, until tonight (Monday13th). Back to no internet connection, only on the desktop. Interestingly the AnalyticSDK was at 0% CPU with 3Mb memory

Most of the memory usage was from McAfeeScanner and the Windows Explorer (2).

Rebooted the computer and internet connection was back. AnalyticsSDK is now up to 3.7Mb but still 0% CPU.

mentha
Former Member
Message 107 of 255

Selvan

30minutes later and no internet connection.  AnalyticsSDK still at 0% and now 5.3Mb

Tried running McLogCollect. But when I tried to stop it, it hung for about 15minutes until I forced it to stop. It didn't create a new log.

Restarted the computer and Internet connection is back. So re-running the McLogCollect.

mentha
Former Member
Message 108 of 255

Tried for another 30 minutes with the McLogCollect on but always had Internet. Took about 7 minutes for the log to be generated. AnalyticsSDK still at 0% but got up to 7.3Mb and then fell to 3Mb.

Peacekeeper
Message 109 of 255

Above comments are addressed to you .

Re what i found out in our call

1. 4 logs sent to the Developers they have not seen them yet as it was late in the day.

2. Google and Nvidia uses analytics sdk as Mcafee does so I was told. It was confirmed they  (McAfee) is not interested in PC site visits or private info. There is enough of this done by cookies.

3. Stopping service two things to try . Change startup type first to stopped and then disable it. Also try stopping in safe mode.

4. The Memory fix has been halted as normal release is 1st to Au Ca and Ko users the 2nd release US and UK and then rest world . The release was stopped due to issues that is why some have got it some not.

bonzo47
Former Member
Message 110 of 255

- Today I am getting messages from McAfee that new updates are waiting to be installed. From your comments above I assume that these updates do not include a fix for the Analytics SDK problem. For now I am hitting the "remind me later" button because I am afraid that if I download updates I will reactivate Analytics SDK and I may not be able to disable it this time. What would you advise me to do?

Another thought I've had is what about using the System Restore function whereby you can reset the system back to what it was at an earlier date. I'm not a PC expert by any means, but I remember I have used this in the past when there has been an issue with a driver or something. No-one has suggested that in relation to the current problem so I guess it's not a simple fix that's applicable in this case?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community