Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krazykyle
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Browser warns of a Trojan but McAfee not detecting or not Warning

Jump to solution

Hi everyone I'm krazykyle and completely sane. I recently downloaded a PDF from a trusted site, but when I go to open it I get a warning from my PDF viewer which is Microsoft edge saying it is a Trojan,not that it may be but is? I don't believe that Microsoft caught something and my McAfee didn't and hasn't warned me. I hate everything about Microsoft and am planning to change default PDF viewers. I'm not very computer literate but I'm on a new computer I bought and it came with 90 days McAfee live safe and I went ahead and purchased a year subscription. I also have Windows defender from the factory but think McAfee has turned it off. I trust McAfee but am worried about opening the PDF but need to for the research I am doing. I would appreciate any advice or thoughts to consider. I cannot find where to send a request for McAfee to advise me or to possibly look at the file .

Thanks and hope you all had a great Thanksgiving

PS. Sorry I forgot when I run a scan with McAfee it comes back no threats or viruses and the PDF is in my downloads  so I'm half confused and half thinking Microsoft is full of you know what?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sudharsanam_G1
Message 2 of 3

Re: Browser warns of a Trojan but McAfee not detecting or not Warning

Jump to solution

Hi @krazykyle 

We regret for the inconvenience caused.

Kindly reinstall the webadvisor by refering the below articles and let us know the issue status.

How to download and install McAfee WebAdvisor

Alternatively, You can always contact the chat support using below link for technical assistance.

McAfee Support

Regards,
Sudharsanam G

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Sudharsanam_G1
Message 2 of 3

Jump to solution

Hi @krazykyle 

We regret for the inconvenience caused.

Kindly reinstall the webadvisor by refering the below articles and let us know the issue status.

How to download and install McAfee WebAdvisor

Alternatively, You can always contact the chat support using below link for technical assistance.

McAfee Support

Regards,
Sudharsanam G

krazykyle
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Jump to solution

I'm sure it is somehow my being so computer illiterate that caused this to not get installed. I need to correct my statement it wasn't Microsoft (this time) that warned me it was Malware-bytes browser guard . And truthfully I don't have any idea where it came from? I don't remember installing it. Thank you I have the email and am installing McAfee browser guard now. I only ask should I delete the PDF  and consider it as possible trouble, and if so how could I download the PDF  without it being detected as corrupt but until I try to open it? I realize no one can catch every threat I just don't understand how it could not be detected until opening and not when downloading.

Thank you for the rapid response have a wonderful night.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community