cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bubba46
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Blue sceened a brand new Win7 notebook.

OK. I have a brand new Gateway notebook (Refurb). Win7 preinstalled I got yesterday. Started it up. No problems.

Bloatware included on the new computer Norton. I downloaded the uninstall tool from Symantec. Unistalled Norton.

Went to my accounts page for the download for the 3rd of my 3 computer license. Tryed to down load. Clicked run program when prompted. It was running (downloading). IT THEN BLUE SCREENED. It did this twice.

Had a chat with tech support. They were usless.

My account was just renewed in Dec.

I also have another Win7 PC I bought in DEC. McAfee intalled with no problems.

Any suggestions?

5 Replies
The_Narc
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: Blue sceened a brand new Win7 notebook.

Hello Bubba46,

Is there any other anti-malware, anti-spyware, antivirus solution installed?

Were you using another program during download process?

Do you have admin rights?

Instead of running McAfee Download Manager save the exe file in your desktop and use it.

Tell me what happens.

Cheers,

The Narc

Bubba46
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

The_Narc wrote:

Hello Bubba46,

Is there any other anti-malware, anti-spyware, antivirus solution installed?

Were you using another program during download process?

Do you have admin rights?

Instead of running McAfee Download Manager save the exe file in your desktop and use it.

Tell me what happens.

Cheers,

The Narc

I'm the admin on the computer. No other users.

No other programs running during the download.

Didn't try to save the file. The download site says run it from the on line download which I did it should work as indicated.

The short answer is that McAfee support and customer service has no answer.

The tech I had that chat on line with said it was a bad hard drive and blew me off. The drive is fine.

This was a new computer I had just turned it on and the 1st thing I needed to do to it was install an anti-virus program.

Because the download crashed my computer twice. I had to do a complete restore to the factory default. TWICE !!

My work around was simple I reinstalled Norton and had NO problems with the online download and update.

I also installed the Win7 Pro upgrade right after that and a wireless printer with Win7 finding the driver to use.

So much for the computer having a bad drive.

The computer runs fine now.

I will never buy another renewal for McAfee products I've been with them since 1999 I just renewed in Dec. I have McAfee installed on 2 other machine and I going to remove it from them. The company has gone to the dogs and the software sucks.

The off shore tech's are idiots. When I finally talked to a real person in subscriptions this genius told me to talk to a tech on the phone live was like $50.00. for the call.

The last renewal they charge me $80.00 I called and told them that its advertised on the site for $60.00. They already charged my card for the full $80.00 and then charged it again for the $60.00 price that I brought to thier attention. The refund for the original $80.00 took 2 weeks. Hell of a way to run a company and gain user loyality.

Never again will I deal with McAfee or use any of thier products.

Any one looking for an anti-virus product should anyplace but from McAfee.

BTW Norton gave me the full anti-virus suite for $39.00

Thanks for your help "The_Narc" but I'm done with McAfee

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Well good luck.  BSOD's are usually a sign of driver issues or hardware problems or even malware and it could be that the attempt to install the software acted as a catalyst for whatever it was.  Had you set Windows not to reboot at a blue screen of death you could have read the error code and any other pertinent information which might have shed a light on this.  Also you could have contacted Technical Support Chat for free at any time, or if this is a retail purchase even obtained free phone support within 30 days of purchase.

As I said good luck.

I have McAfee installed on my Dell Inspiron 1010 Notebook w/Win 7 and had no such problems.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/02/10 9:21:24 EST PM
catman
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Are you sure Norton completely removed, if it's still there delete the norton folder after you uninstal it and if you have a registry cleaner try running that,there is one in the free ccleaner.

Matu
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

Hi Bubba,

sorry for my bad englisch but i try to explain 🙂

Is any VPN Client Software running on your Notebook? In my Company we have many Problems with our VPN Client Solution and McAfee. The installation ends with a BSOD.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community