cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pusaqall
Contributor
Message 101 of 186

Re: BSOD when connecting to internet using dial-up services (yes some people still do this)

I just hate dial-up. I don't understand why few people still use it. It's connection is too slow..

Peacekeeper
Message 102 of 186

Re: BSOD when connecting to internet using dial-up services (yes some people still do this)

Some have too adsl etc not spread to all users in all countries .

Even we aussies have dialup still especially in the country areas (some)

steveo
Contributor
Message 103 of 186

Ok. I'm supporting a small group of computers (50+), all XP sp3 (some Dell some HP). I don't control what they use for AV programs but I just came across this problem. Anyone who recently started using McAfee Total Protection 2012 has suddenly had problems with the computers locking up when establishing a dial up networking connection. I've read through the 100+ entries here and my situation seems a little different.

One PC would work fine on a lan but as soon as I established a DUN connection the PC froze and had to be re-booted. The difference I experienced is the connection froze whether I connected to an internet provider or another remote office PC with incoming connections enabled. So it's not an internet provider problem.

I also have another computer that I dial into using a modem connected to my PC. The user installed the new version of McAfee on it and it works on their little internet connected Lan. But now when I dial into it, it freezes immediatley and has to be rebooted. The issue seems to be with the Dial up Networking and McAfee. Or possibly multi networked PCs and McAfee.

Removing McAfee eliminates the lock ups. Any one have a solution or experience anything similar.

Peacekeeper
Message 104 of 186

So they do not get a BSOD? probably same issue though what ISP?

I will pass this onto the techs they are after users having this issue so they can sort out what is the actual cause.

steveo
Contributor
Message 105 of 186

They don't get a BSOD. It simply freezes and never comes back. The ISP connection is to Uniserve (in Canada) but as I said it also happens if I go PC to PC through a regular phone line. As soon as the other modem answers, the pc that has the new version of McAfee (calling or answering) locks up solid. We have other older versions of McAfee on other machines and they don't have the same problem. Hopefully you'll come up with something.  Ironically, we started to recommend McAfee because Norton caused us so much grief with driver conflicts.

johnpt
Former Member
Message 106 of 186

I still have the problem and it is clear that McAffee has no interest in solving this problem.

I like some others have found that older versions of McAfee are OK

I have dialed-up OK on a computer with

VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise 8.8

Scan engine version (32-bit) 5400.1158

Livence Type - licensed

DAT Version 6615.0000

DAT Created 9 February 2012

But my computer with Security Centre does not work

Version 11.0

Build 11.0.654

Updated 20/01/2012

We all know from the information above that this problem started with a specific update so it can't be that difficult to sort out what is wrong. If someone tries.

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 107 of 186

steveo wrote:

They don't get a BSOD. It simply freezes and never comes back. The ISP connection is to Uniserve (in Canada) but as I said it also happens if I go PC to PC through a regular phone line. As soon as the other modem answers, the pc that has the new version of McAfee (calling or answering) locks up solid. We have other older versions of McAfee on other machines and they don't have the same problem. Hopefully you'll come up with something.  Ironically, we started to recommend McAfee because Norton caused us so much grief with driver conflicts.

That is the same thing that happens when I try to connect to CompuServe or Juno. It gets to the handshaking between the local node and the host , then the system freezes up. It all started with an update in late May 2011.

Peacekeeper
Message 108 of 186

has any1 been contacted by Mcafee to look at this? Last I heard was they were after users to get logs off.

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 109 of 186

Peacekeeper wrote:

has any1 been contacted by Mcafee to look at this? Last I heard was they were after users to get logs off.

I have been in contact with both Somer and Dinesh. Many things have been tried and logs collected.

Peacekeeper
Message 110 of 186

OK will see what they say on the Monday call.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community